Listen up journalists! Do you need a crash course on the current digital landscape of the journalism world but don’t have the time for trial and error? Looking for industry best practices on how to use social media in your research or for your organization’s website? Mediabistro has you covered with their online Journalism and Technology Boot Camp course. Here’s the information:
WHEN: 8 weeks, May 24 – July 19
Online Chats: Tuesdays, 8-9 p.m. ET
WHERE: Online. Click here to register.
In this class, we’ll explore the many interactive digital tools available to today’s journalist. Through weekly assignments, you’ll gain hands-on experience building maps, photo galleries, slideshows, and timelines, and learn how to use live-blogging and curation tools to take advantage of social media and real-time reporting.
In order to maximize the technology available, you have to know what tools are out there and when and how to use them. We’ll discuss innovative examples of journalism and technology to determine the best practices for developing your own tools and storytelling techniques. Students can opt to post stories and packages to their own blog or website, or contribute to a private class blog.
In this class, you will learn:
- How and when to use interactive online tools to enhance your reporting
- How to present and curate information using maps, video, photo galleries, slideshows, and timelines
- What role social media should play in your research, reporting, and promotion
- How to use a Content Management System and the basics of site management
- What you need to know about Flash as a journalist
By the end of this class, you will have:
A portfolio of interactive components to support your reporting including a map, video clip, photo gallery or slideshow, timeline, live-blog transcript, and curated social news package. You’ll also gain familiarity working with a Content Management System.
Click here to register today! As an added bonus for our faithful 10,000 Words reader, use the promotional code WORDS50 to get a $50 discount!
- How to Achieve These 3 New Year's Resolutions For Journalists
- Ebyline Launches WordPress Plugin To Pay Freelancers
- What If JFK Was Assassinated Today? How The News Would Cover It
- Push Notifications for Everyone: App.net Launches 'Broadcast'