Steve Jobs, the visionary behind Apple whose products have touched millions, has died after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 56. The impact of his death was felt immediately, with tributes coming in from everyone from President Obama to Mark Zuckerberg to Bill Gates.
Almost immediately after the news was announced, Apple’s homepage turned into a classic and appropriately elegant homage to Jobs: A simple black and white photo of the company’s leader.
If you click through, a message from Apple reads, “Apple has lost a visionary and a creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.”
Social networks were also abuzz moments after Apple confirmed Jobs’ death. #RIPSTEVEJOBS was a top trending topic on Twitter and Facebook Pages, like Thank You Steve Jobs and R.I.P. Steve Jobs, have already been created. (Here’s more from our sister site, AllFacebook, on how Facebook users are responding.)
Every news site has posted something about Jobs’s death but here are a few tributes I found the most moving:
- The Steve Jobs’ Think Different Tribute Video by Gizmodo;
- Google links to Apple:
- The Wall Street Journal‘s 3,000-word obituary and a blog post on Jobs’ best quotes;
- Mashable’s The Web Remembers;
- The Oatmeal’s sad computer (links to the American Cancer Society):
- The Next Web’s Celebrating the life of Steve Jobs in photos, videos, quotes and tweets;
- NPR’s Timeline: Steve Jobs, The Man At Apple’s Core;
- Wired.com changed its entire homepage:
Thank you, Steve Jobs. How have his innovations influenced your life?
- What To Read Today: Interview With Buzzfeed's Jonah Peretti
- Behind the Scenes at The Guardian During the Edward Snowden Era
- Finalists Announced for 2014 Michael Kelly Award
- SXSWi 2014: Glenn Greenwald on Social Media, Surveillance and the Purpose of Journalism