WHEN Materials available starting June 13
CERTIFICATE Use this course to earn a certificate in Copy Editing.
ALSO STARTS: Online - 9/12/2013
So you know a colon from a semicolon -- but how about an en dash from an em dash?
This class is for those familiar with the basics of copy editing and ready for the next level. If you are a junior-level copy editor or have some editorial experience, this class will provide a deeper understanding of the rules that anchor style choices.
In this class, you will learn how to:
- Use more complex grammar and punctuation errors with a focus on proper comma usage
- Evaluate the merits of the popular style guides and other resources
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the copy editor
- Judge proper word usage
By the end of class, you will have:
Copy editing skills to make consistent style choices in your editing or writing.
Apply with a note clearly stating your copy editing experience.
Beginners: Check out our Intro class.
The online classroom has several components:
- Lessons: Learn new skills through written lessons
- Discussion: Join a weekly live, interactive discussion via IM and video
- Assignments: Complete homework and receive instructor feedback
- Forums: Exchange resources, meet peers, and ask your instructor questions
Angela has held staff copy editing positions at Life & Style Weekly and Newsday. She is the founder of Eyes Dotted Professional Editing Services, which provides editing and writing services for businesses including Coca Cola and Carol's Daughter.