WHEN Materials available starting June 12
This class will provide you with the skills necessary to find work as a professional fashion writer. Through insight into the fashion world and media, you'll learn to grasp the different styles of fashion journalism and gain insight into and an understanding of the fashion industry.
Using trend reports, reviews of collections, and analyzing the craft and business of fashion, you'll learn how to tackle fashion stories from different angles for high fashion magazines, non-traditional publications, and websites. Learn the value of networking, creating and keeping contacts, and how to work with PR to get the heads-up on scoops and invites to press launches and fashion shows. You'll also learn to write pitch letters and emails to secure interviews with designers.
Throughout the course, you'll build a portfolio of spec clips that will exhibit your ability to analyze and report on fashion.
In this class, you will learn how to:
- Watch shows, interpret collections, and develop an eye for inspiration
- Write fashion headlines, runway reviews, and fashion features
- Use your personal style to create stories that editors crave
- Understand the differences between fashion editors, writers, and freelancers
- Write compelling pitch letters
By the end of class, you will have:
A pitch letter for a fashion feature and a collection of clips for a high fashion magazine.
Students who have taken this class have been published on:
NYMag.com, Glamour.com, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The online classroom has several components:
- Lessons: Learn new skills through video-based lessons
- Discussion: Join a weekly live, interactive discussion via IM and video
- Assignments: Complete homework and receive instructor feedback
- Forums: Exchange resources, meet peers, and ask your instructor questions
Maureen Dempsey's Courses
Fashion Writing (Starts June 12)