WHEN Materials available starting May 21
Discussions start Tuesday, May 28, 8-9 pm ET - Full Schedule
$275 (or $250 for AvantGuild members - details)
Add to Calendar
iCal | Outlook
Notify me when this is offered again.
In this course, students with a comprehensive understanding of HTML will take the next step with coding. You'll learn to design a website using cascading style sheets, or CSS, and HTML5.
We’ll review column-based layout, colors, and fonts. We'll also discuss how to create clean HTML files and how to use semantic markup. We'll also show you how to use Photoshop to design pages and experiment with advanced CSS styles.
In this class, you will learn how to:
- Use HTML5 tags including semantic markup and HTML5 video
- Embed images, video, and other multimedia elements including Google Maps on your pages
- Work with CSS3 design options like rounded borders, box shadows, and gradients
- Use advanced typography with CSS3 web fonts and text replacement libraries like Typekit and Cufon
By the end of class, you will have:
A website or sample work designed with CSS edited with HTML5.
Apply with a note to explain your previous experience using HTML.
Note: We recommend using Adobe Dreamweaver to complete assignments. You can download a free 30-day trial at adobe.com. Email us with questions.
The online classroom has several components:
- Lessons: Learn new skills through video-based lessons
- Discussion: Join a weekly live, interactive discussion via IM and video
- Assignments: Complete homework and receive instructor feedback
- Forums: Exchange resources, meet peers, and ask your instructor questions
Laura Galbraith is an experienced web designer who has worked with editorial, commercial, and non-profit teams to create interactive content, mobile apps, microsites, and web tools. She has worked for magazines and major brands including Parenting, Field & Stream, Popular Mechanics, The Partnership for Drug Free America, and New York Institute of Technology. Her illustrated work has been featured in Juxtapoz Online, Illustrophile, Faesthetic magazine, and Digital Arts magazine.
Laura Galbraith's Courses
HTML (Starts June 25)
HTML (Starts August 13)
HTML5 and CSS (Starts August 27)
HTML5 and CSS (Starts May 21)
Laura was friendly, knowledgeable, and accessible. I enjoyed the class and found it informative. I already signed up for the advanced class she is teaching.
-- Diana Erbio
"This class gave me the background knowledge I needed to greatly improve websites I had created. Laura went the extra mile to answer my questions." -- Sarah Mausolf
"This class gives you a chance to use these skills to build your own website -- a very valuable experience." -- Laura Dangerfield