|Publication or Company
||Society for Neuroscience (SfN)
||Creative Services Manager
||Graphic Design/Art Direction, Internet/Online/New Media, Non-profit, Web Development
||401K/403B, Dental, Health
||SUMMARY: Responsible for highly productive design team and large volume of high-quality, award-winning, brand-enhancing collateral materials by successfully managing SfN visual presentation in all media and production (graphic design, layout, online publishing, client management, print buying, and press checks). Efforts support all member communications, annual meeting, and marketing materials produced by SfN.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Ensure all graphic design products -- print and digital -- maintain and advance a strong, award-winning SfN brand. Guide department staff to appropriately use visuals and typography to develop compelling, dynamic materials that convey the values, sophistication, and professionalism of a major, growing global society. Serve as steward for, and internal consultant on, graphic design requirements and institutional values for all design projects.
· Manage design team through project assignments and oversight of all graphic design products. Provide creative solutions for high-profile projects. Ensure all projects and/or products adhere to SfN style guide and identity manual.
· Work to consistently deepen design capacity through professional development of self and staff.
· Approve designs before presenting them to MCCS Director and senior staff.
Project and Client Management
· Oversee project management for all graphic design jobs, including several hundred projects over the course of the year. Ensure department establishes and maintains appropriate processes, procedures, forms and job tracking to keep deliverables on track and on budget; anticipate or effectively mitigate problems; and consistently communicate to stakeholders about updates on progress, relevant delays or issues, and budget implications.
· Work collaboratively and proactively with internal clients at all levels to assess project requirements, including client preferences, timeframes, and budgets. Maintain strong communication channels with client contacts to ensure they are informed of emerging trends, opportunities, delays, or developments associated with projects.
· Ensure projects are completed within specified schedules and budgets. In cases where new or unexpected additions are requested, work with clients to anticipate and plan for additional costs or delays associated with desired content or additional deliverables.
· Develop and maintain relationships with the printing industries and paper suppliers and manufacturers in order to obtain the best rates, schedules, and quality of materials and processes.
· When requested, work with MCCS director to develop systems that help strengthen relationships and reduce costs through mechanisms such as RFP processes that secure bulk cost reductions, etc.
· Keep abreast of new developments in commercial papers, prepress, printing, binding, shipping, and mailing.
· Assist department head in the selection of prepress, printing, and bindery vendors, as well as paper suppliers and mail houses.
· Through performance management, mentoring and coaching, oversee the activities and responsibilities of three staff, ensuring they understand their roles and functions and are able to carry out their duties as assigned.
· Evaluate effectiveness of staff and guide their continued professional growth. Help identify areas for future growth and encourage participation in training programs that deepen capacity.
· Serve as an engaged and involved team member, supportive of the varied experiences, and perspectives of internal and external colleagues.
· Support and actively build an office culture dedicated to superior customer service that exceeds member expectations.
· Work within the team and among teams to ensure that decisions are made to further the organization's goals
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBLITIES: Directly supervises senior graphic designer, graphic designer, and production coordinator. Oversees temporary employees and/or interns and outside design firms.
QUALIFICATIONS: Proven expertise in sophisticated and unified graphic design and corporate visual presentation. Thorough understanding of image and brand management. Knowledge of printing process and production techniques. Excellent time and project management skills. Previous supervisory experience required. Well-developed ability to multi-task and set priorities in a flexible manner. Capable of hearing and managing differing perspectives with professionalism. Expertise in office automation (word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software), as well as proven Internet research skills. Excellent understanding of Macintosh OS and Adobe Creative Suite products. Strong supervisory and mentoring skills.
SALARY: Low 60's.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE: College degree and five to seven years' experience in the field with at least two years of supervisory experience. Proven expertise in Adobe Creative Suite products, Acrobat, as well as Quark, and Microsoft Office.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Excellent written and spoken English skills. Strong written, research, oral and interpersonal skills, including proven presentation skills.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Basic math skills required.
REASONING ABILITY: Must show good judgment and logic. Also, must be able to competently handle potentially controversial issues and situations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The environment is often high-pressured with an emphasis on teamwork. General environment requires employee to be very flexible. There are usually many things going on at once, and employee may be jumping from project to project throughout the day. At various points throughout the year, the environment becomes very stressful and hectic as many deadlines approach simultaneously. Employee may be asked to work late hours during this time to get projects done. During peak periods, such as the annual meeting, other demands may be required, such as setting up signs and assisting with literature distribution. This work will include long hours standing and walking, including up and down stairs and escalators, moving up to 25-pound boxes, etc.
Please complete our online application:
Please forward your letter of interest, current resume, salary requirements, references and portfolio.
|About Our Company
||The Society for Neuroscience (SfN) is a non-profit, professional association representing over 42,000 members working in the dynamic and multi-disciplinary field of science that deals with the brain and nervous system. Our staff of 90-plus is a highly dedicated group passionate about and proud of supporting the scientific research, advocacy and public education activities our members are engaged in. We work in a unique, award-winning, environmentally friendly building and offer excellent employee benefits. We foster a culture of creativity, initiative-taking and excellence, and seek highly motivated, bright, inquisitive, and energetic team players interested in contributing to the multi-faceted mission of the Society.