Huffington Post Arts & Culture is looking for an intern for the winter and spring. This internship is a great experience for an aspiring journalist to get hands-on training writing and researching for one of the largest visual and performing arts websites in the world.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Assisting the Arts & Culture Editors in New York to write copy on deadline
- Finding news items and eye-catching exhibitions, plays, performances, and other related stories for the Arts & Culture page
- Filing AP wires
- Learning how to use MT, our incredible publishing platform
- Participating in weekly culture meetings
- Receiving practical and invaluable experience in research and reporting while learning about the general workings of an international news organization
- Receiving training and guidance about writing and editing from the Arts editor
- Attending regular writing group sessions, where you will learn all there is to know about the craft
Requirements for Success:
- An organized and efficient researcher, able to distill large quantities of information into easily digestible nuggets. A large part of your responsibility will be doing research on current exhibitions and events.
- Organized. We rely on our interns for help keeping everything filed and organized.
- Up-to-date and interested in the visual and performing arts.
- Outgoing. You’ll be asked to greet and interact with multiple people on a daily basis.
- Enthusiastic, energetic and flexible. Each day here is different -- sometimes you’ll sit and quietly research, sometimes you’ll be asked to take on a lot more.
- Previous journalism experience is preferred- you must be able to write quickly, accurately, and well, all while having strong attention to detail and deadlines
- Internet junkies are welcome- the more you love devouring online content, the better. We are looking for the type of candidate who can spot viral content before it goes viral.
- Experience using a CMS is preferred (ex.- WordPress, Drupal, MoveableType, etc.)
- Working knowledge of social media outlets is required, including: twitter, tumblr, facebook, pinterest, etc.
- Basic HTML experience preferred
- Knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign preferred
This is full time, paid internship located in our New York, NY office- 40 hours/week at $10/hr. All applicants should be current students or recent graduates (Spring 2012 or later).
ABOUT THE HUFFINGTON POST
The Huffington Post is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source of breaking news, features, and entertainment, as well as a highly engaged community for opinion and conversation. The Huffington Post has 36.9 million monthly unique visitors (comScore April, 2012) posting over 6.5 million comments each month. The site has over 30,000 bloggers -- from politicians,students and celebrities to academics, parents and policy experts -- who contribute in real-time on the subjects they are most passionate about. The Huffington Post has editions in the UK, Canada, Quebec, France, and Spain, and Italy.