|Publication or Company
||The National Audubon Society
||Internet/Online/New Media, Magazine Publishing, Non-profit
||New York, NY
||Our client, The National Audubon Society, is searching for a VP of Content for this leading conservation and environmental organization whose mission is to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds, other wildlife, and their habitats for the benefit of humanity and the earth's biological diversity. Audubon magazine is the Society’s award-winning flagship publication, published six issues per year, with a paid membership/circulation base of 420,000. This year, Audubon adopted a new strategic plan with the goal of focusing and aligning the Audubon network to meet today's unprecedented environmental challenges. Reflecting the expertise and input of staff, Chapters, board members, and other volunteers and partners, this "Roadmap for Hemispheric Conservation" will enable Audubon to deliver conservation impact at scale.
The newly created role of VP Content reflects the Society’s commitment to an innovative multi-platform communication and publishing plan. Reporting directly to the Audubon CEO, the VP Content oversees all content strategy, execution and integration across print, web, mobile, tablet, and e-news platforms, and is charged with expanding the brand’s digital footprint and outreach to prospective members and environmental activists. The VP Content oversees development of new editorial products as required, building on the success of Audubon magazine. He or she is responsible for establishing consistent quality and reflection of the Audubon brand throughout all content products and related messaging, and for bringing a new level of creativity and audience engagement to the Society’s publishing program. This is an unparalleled opportunity to bolster the National Audubon Society’s fulfillment of its mission by orchestrating a growth plan of its print and digital media and increasing its visibility.
• Create a new content strategy across multiple platforms (print, web, mobile, app, e-news) taking advantage of new trends in technology and distribution methods.
• Develop and refine the content mission of Audubon’s print and digital properties, in close cooperation with Audubon’s CEO, COO, publisher, and executive team.
• Create an updated vision for the bimonthly Audubon magazine, overseeing at a high level all editing, production, design and photo elements of the publication.
• Develop and institute a digital strategy for website(s), incorporating regular updates throughout the day to produce a vibrant, highly trafficked site, with increased advertising and sponsorship potential. Determine effective use of user generated content and blogging.
• Set and enforce standards for editorial excellence, innovation and creativity.
• Determine tone, voice, look and feel suitable for the Audubon brand. Ensure brand consistency across all platforms and extensions.
• Institute and oversee a redesign of the magazine and the website(s).
• Play a strong role in social media efforts for media/communication vehicles in close cooperation with the Audubon engagement team.
• Institute a metrics-driven culture, with regular review of online analytics, modifying strategies as applicable for increased traffic and engagement.
• Clearly articulate content goals, strategies and tactics to primary Audubon stakeholders, including the brands’ sales teams, senior leaders, board, and key outside constituencies.
• Manage internal content and design staff, and be responsible for hiring, training and development of content talent.
• Determine optimal methods for cross-platform work, maximizing synergy between print and digital where appropriate (print, online, data, video, live event).
• Propose and develop new products as applicable, in cooperation with CEO, COO, publisher and executive team.
• Stay current with Audubon initiatives, policies, and objectives through regular interaction with key stakeholders in the senior management team, state and local chapter leaders, etc.
• Final responsibility for budgets and regular financial reports on content costs, maintain expenses within budget, and spearhead three-year content strategies and plans.
• Stay abreast of emerging technology as it relates to digital publishing and distribution. Function as the digital evangelist for innovative use of technology platforms and products.
• Serve as a public face and “ambassador” of the magazine and digital business to external advertising and corporate sponsorship decision-makers.
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
--Excellent team leadership and management skills and demonstrated ability to manage creative talent in a cross-platform environment
--Senior-level content leadership experience in consumer media, including one or more roles at well-defined quality publications with print and online products.
--Digital innovator—oriented toward exploiting digital platforms and products as fully as possible
--Skilled “magazine-maker;” experienced at long-form content and magazine design
--Ability to serve as a “change agent”—able to lead change and be nimble in times of transition
--Interest in environmental and conservation issues
--Able to succeed in a non-profit association; an organization with multiple constituencies
--High level of creativity and uniqueness in approach to content
--Strong packaging skills and sensibility
--Impeccable communication skills, written and oral
--Excellent interpersonal skills, a collaborative style, and a sense of humor.
--Confidence and presence to effectively craft and deliver presentations suitable for discussion in senior management meetings