|Publication or Company
||The Globe Newspapers, Inc
||Content Producer Job
||Internet/Online/New Media, Newspapers
Boston.com is seeking an experienced, creative, and savvy Senior Web Producer for the siteís award-winning business section.
The right candidate will know business news inside and out, ranging from consumer news to personal finance, to markets. He/she will understand the demands of the online reader and create digital content that meets and exceeds readersí expectations. The candidate must have solid news judgment, and develop traffic-driving features throughout the week.
The right candidate must be energetic, passionate about business news, and show a history of creating unique digital content, including special reports, slideshows, and interactive graphics.
This is not an entry-level position. The senior business producer is directly responsible for the timely delivery of business news in the section and will work closely with The Boston Globe print staff to coordinate coverage throughout the day. The senior business producer is responsible for updating the section, homepage wells, and of course building new features.
The senior business producer will work with third-party content providers; identify new content for the section that will help grow traffic, and have experience with evaluating new products. Moreover, the senior business producer typically spearheads the team that executes new features and products in the business section.
The senior business producer, who reports to Boston.comís news editor, will also oversee editorial content within the real estate, jobs, and auto sections of the site. He/she will help develop traffic-driving content in those sections too. The senior business producer will work closely with Boston.comís classifieds producer and a business intern.
The senior business producer should also have a strong understanding of emerging technologies, basic project management skills, and how to work with programmers, product, advertising, and design teams to develop a new feature from concept to reality.
- Managing the editorial components of the business, real estate, jobs, and autos section of Boston.com
- Selecting stories, cropping and managing photos, videos, and graphics to feature on the website
- Writing crisp, clean headlines and teases
- Ensuring that Boston.comís business section is accurate and the first to post breaking news within our regional market
- Developing comprehensive news packages that include strong photos and other elements on section fronts and within stories
- Assigning and periodically covering large business events within the Greater Boston area that will generate new traffic to the site
- Working with product, technology, analytics, and sometimes advertising to meet the meet editorial and sometimes business needs of the sections.
- Developing new talent, particularly with new topical business blogs
- Acting as a liaison among different departments, including IT, advertising, design, marketing, editorial, and sometimes third party content providers
- Being a team player and having a strong understanding of journalistic ethics
- Planning and executing online coverage for major news events
- Identifying opportunities for multimedia and new features
- Coordinating coverage with the Globeís business, photo, design, and video departments
- Growing traffic, including pageviews, visits, and time on site
- Other duties as assigned
- Superior news judgment
- Strong copy editing skills
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS and other technologies
- Experience using Photoshop to edit and resize images
- Prior experience with a content management system (knowledge of EidosMedia Inc.ís Mťthode is a plus)
- Understanding of Social media and mobile devices
- At least three to four years of experience working in an online news environment
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- A great sense of humor
- Knowledge of the local business market is a plus
The Boston Globe is wholly owned by the New York Times Company (NYSE: NYT), a leading, global multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, that includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, and related properties. The Company's core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
Boston.com is one of the most visited regional portals in the U.S. and is wholly owned by The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, that includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, About.com and related properties. The Company's core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
EEO Statement: The Boston Globe is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The Boston Globe is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.