|Publication or Company
||The World Bank
||Global Web Editor | Online Communications Officer
||Internet/Online/New Media, Public Relations, Social Media
||401K/403B, Dental, Flexible Hours, Health
||The Bank’s external web site The World BanK provides 24 million visitors a year with timely information about the Bank’s work and institutional objectives, and serves as a symbol of the institution’s transparency and willingness to engage with clients and partners around the world. It is the Bank’s most public tool for broadcasting results and demonstrating openness and accountability. Managing the quality and presentation of information on the site is critical to fulfilling the Bank’s development and communications goals.
Apply at: The World Bank Job Portal
The Global Web Editor manages, edits, curates and produces content for the Bank’s external home page, social media channels, and other high-profile corporate site areas, including News & Views, Results, Blogs, and current issue pages such as Financial and Food Crisis. The editor plays a key liaison role with online communications staff around the Bank and interacts with management and staff at many levels.
As a member of the Corporate Communications Unit (EXTCC), the editor reports to the Head of Online & Social Media.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year renewable term appointment.
About the Recruitment Process
Applications will be accepted for this position through Jan. 7, 2013. We expect to select applicants for a writing, editing and social media screening test in Feb. 2013, followed by interviews for selected, qualified candidates with the objective of making a final offer to hire no later than May 1, 2013.
Duties and Accountabilities
Developing and executing online content strategies in consultation with the Head of Online & Social Media, news and broadcast teams, and online communications staff from across the Bank.
Aligning the institution’s online approach with corporate messaging and priorities and developing content in response to breaking news.
Managing corporate feature packages and newsletters by assigning and commissioning content (i.e., text, photos, video, slideshows, blog posts) that is timely and relevant, visually compelling, and reinforces corporate communications objectives.
Planning online coverage of special events and campaigns (i.e., #whatwillittake, Food Crisis, Annual and Spring Meetings) and contributing to institutional blogs and other media as appropriate.
Leading regular Bank-wide meetings, including the involvement by outside experts as appropriate, with online communications staff across the Bank to improve editorial coordination and synergy among organizational units (regions and networks).
Managing translation requests for corporate feature content in, Arabic, Chinese, French, and Spanish, as needed.
Preparing and maintaining a digital editorial calendar in coordination with country/regional, network and corporate communications staff.
Enforcing and applying editorial processes and approval workflows, as well as reviewing, editing and writing content for web publication.
Working with units in developing content or commissioning specific content to be written by online writers or staff elsewhere in the institution.
Reviewing and monitoring sites for quality and timeliness.
Establishing and managing key performance indicators and reviewing web metrics reports for online; sharing results.
Reviewing user research results and determining audience needs; acting on audience feedback.
Developing online campaigns (content, marketing) to target key audiences, and measuring success in achieving them.
Implementing the online communication action plan, using social media, multimedia, and other tools where relevant.
Identifying opportunities for EXTCC to use existing and emerging online tools; providing support and one-to-one training for current and emerging online communication channels.
Participating in related web governance groups to represent EXTCC views, sharing knowledge, and ensuring good practices.
Advocating and articulating areas of change to the Banks’ website based on priorities of EXTCC.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Desired Skills & Experience
Master’s or bachelor’s degree in Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science or other related disciplines, with a minimum of 5 years (with master’s) or 10 years (with bachelor’s) of relevant experience.
• A minimum of five years’ experience in writing and/or editing for the web.
• Proven writing and editing skills, with an excellent command of English; other languages are a plus, and an ability to convey complex ideas in a creative, clear, direct, and lively style.
• Ability to initiate and manage a continuing editorial process and to conceptualize and execute the online packaging of content.
• Strong diplomatic, interpersonal, and team skills; demonstrated client orientation; sensitized in working in a diverse and multicultural environment.
• An in-depth understanding and problem-solving approach to project management as it relates to complex, multifunctional projects.
• Ability to leverage online communication tools and methodologies (such as online monitoring, web analytics, or other online measurement tools) and to lead research efforts that identify and map project stakeholders or intended audiences, and to develop and analyze online communications performance indicators.
• Knowledge and applied work experience in social media principles and Web 2.0 technologies sufficient to execute, lead or advise others in assuring that upcoming online communication and audience engagement tools and channels are fully leveraged.
• Ability to prioritize, work well under pressure and capably handle/juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines. Experience working with cross-functional teams.
• Experience producing for the web and a basic working knowledge of software packages for page formatting, image management, videos, and content preparation (HTML, Photoshop, and similar software preferred).
• Experience in search engine optimization and online marketing.
Shortlisted applicants will be tested for a wide array of the skills described above.
|About Our Company
||The World Bank is a vital source of financial and technical assistance to developing countries around the world. Our mission is to fight poverty with passion and professionalism for lasting results and to help people help themselves and their environment by providing resources, sharing knowledge, building capacity and forging partnerships in the public and private sectors.
We are not a bank in the common sense; we are made up of two unique development institutions owned by 187 member countries: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA).
Each institution plays a different but collaborative role in advancing the vision of inclusive and sustainable globalization. The IBRD aims to reduce poverty in middle-income and creditworthy poorer countries, while IDA focuses on the world's poorest countries.
Their work is complemented by that of the International Finance Corporation (IFC), Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
Together, we provide low-interest loans, interest-free credits and grants to developing countries for a wide array of purposes that include investments in education, health, public administration, infrastructure, financial and private sector development, agriculture and environmental and natural resource management.