| Acquisitions and Development Editor, Clinical Medicine
|Publication or Company
||Springer Science + Business Media
||Acquisitions and Development Editor, Clinical Medicine
||401K/403B, Dental, Health
||New York, NY
||About our company
BioMed Central, a part of Springer Science+Business Media, is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Unlike traditional publishers, BioMed Central believes research should be free to access for anyone. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
The Acquisitions and Development Editor, Clinical Medicine, is responsible for growing the BioMed Central (BMC) clinical medicine portfolio of journals, including new start ups, society journals and journals transferring to BMC. The Editor is responsible for the success of a set of journals through developing and executing journal development plans, optimizing the publishing service and commercial opportunities and through increasing submissions. He/she develops and maintains excellent working relationships with Editors-in Chief, Editorial Board members, society representatives and other contacts. The Editor job requires close liaison with departments throughout BioMed Central, located in USA and London.
Key responsibilities will include:
1. Identify opportunities for high quality start-up or transferring journals to be published by BMC
2. Conduct contractual negotiations and finalize journal agreements to match the editors? needs and BMC?s interests in close collaboration with the London office
3. To ensure all required information is gathered from editors/societies so that the journals can be set up in a timely manner
4. As appropriate to give presentations or otherwise contribute to conferences or similar events with the aim of increasing awareness of BMC among scientists in the Americas
Journal set up
1. Work with Editors and/or Societies/Institutions to prepare new journals for launch; set up new journal websites and systems; ensure there is sufficient content
2. Work with marketing department, to organize ?Call for paper? mailings and other marketing materials
Contract negotiations with Editors and Societies
1. Take the lead in discussing and preparing new publishing agreements after expiry of agreements, resignation of editors, new joint Editors-in-Chief or other cases where new agreements need to be negotiated and signed for the journals within the portfolio.
2. Monitor expiry dates and contractual obligations and conditions to ensure agreements are adapted and renewed in time to avoid interruptions and disturbances
3. Ensure correct filing of documents and correct data entry (e.g. into Salesforce) to enable monitoring of renewal dates, correct honoraria payments, etc
1. Build excellent relationships with Scientific Editors, societies, and other stakeholders and act as their point of contact for publishing matter
Increase article inflow and citation share
1. Work with Scientific Editors and related contacts to increase submissions.
2. Work with the appropriate London contact to ensure appropriate representation in indexing services
1. Work closely with the commercial department on opportunities arising
2. Generate leads for supplements and pass to Special Sales.
Peer review service
1. Monitor data on peer review service.
2. Deal with author queries/complaints. Prepare responses to complaints received via our author survey.
3. Provide timely support for external Scientific Editors, and for authors and reviewers where required, using the online peer review system.
1. Ensure Editorial Boards are representative of subject breadth and customer geography/demographics
2. Work with Editors to keep Editorial Boards engaged and refreshed
3. Plan, hold and follow up on Editorial Board meetings, in conjunction with Editors
4. Communicate with Editorial Boards as appropriate
Market knowledge and opportunities
1. Represent the company at scientific conferences when required to improve market knowledge, to network within the community, receive feedback on the journals and to promote BioMed Central journals and open access.
2. Make use of further methods, such as list-serves, to develop knowledge.
3. Use market knowledge to identify editorial opportunities for BioMed Central.
Internal project management
1. Ensure journal websites and any further external information sources are kept up-to-date.
2. Interact with other departments (Marketing, Special Sales, Web Management and Development), as a member of project teams to achieve certain goals. For example for the development of content gateways.
3. Pro-actively flag bottlenecks and potential process improvements
Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Experience working in an online environment
- Scientific editorial/publishing experience, including contact with editors, authors and reviewers
- Experience developing and maintaining productive and friendly relations/partnerships with academic and industry-based scientists
- Experience presenting information to and conducting discussions with senior academics and representatives of organizations (e.g. learned societies, libraries)
- Willing to travel and comfortable representing BMC at external events
- A high level of computer literacy (including MS Office, Outlook and internet browsers)
- Pleasant and tactful telephone manner
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with attention to detail
- Intellectual curiosity with naturally inquisitive approach
- Customer focused
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able to respond to non-routine circumstances
- A positive, can-do approach to problem-solving in both daily tasks and more complex troubleshooting
- Good time management skills and the ability to see a project through to completion
- Self-starter with the ability to identify and solve or suggest solutions for problems
- Ability to understand and communicate complex scientific/business issues
- Ability to complete allocated tasks and work to (often competing) deadlines
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues at all levels
- Ability to work in a team
Please apply using our online application system.
We regret that we are unable to respond to each resume. Only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Return to job listings page