|Publication or Company
||Press and Marketing Manager
||Internet/Online/New Media, Marketing, Non-profit, Public Relations, Radio, Social Media, Sponsorship
||New York, NY
||Performa is seeking an ambitious, experienced and proactive Press and Marketing Manager to oversee all aspects of press and marketing for the organization and to develop and execute the publicity and marketing campaign for Performa 13 (November 1-24, 2013), a major international contemporary art biennial in New York City.
Press and publicity related responsibilities
- Act as primary press contact for Performa the organization, the Performa biennial, and the Performa Director, including fielding all day-to-day requests, creating schedules for visiting members of the press, and consistent follow-up on all outstanding pitches.
- Develop and execute strategic press campaigns for the Performa biennial and Performa’s year-round public programming, benefits, and other special events as they arise including a timeline and publicity plan for the biennial as a whole as well as individual publicity plans for all Performa-commissioned projects.
- Pitch and place stories, interviews, television segments, etc., about Performa, the Performa Biennial the Performa Director, and individual Performa artists to print, broadcast, radio, and online outlets both locally and internationally, including continuous follow-up on all outstanding pitches.
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with press in all media and act as the liaison between all Performa artists and the press in arranging interviews, answering follow-up questions, etc.
- Work with the Director to write, edit, and proofread all press materials, including press releases, press kits, pitch letters, images, promotional texts, artist biographies, etc.
- Liaise with members of the press and arts organizations in cities that the Director travels to, including identifying and scheduling interviews and one-on-ones, in order to maximize press coverage internationally.
- Organize and coordinate with publicists from the Performa consortium (the 50-plus NYC art organizations that contribute to the biennial) to develop a unified and consistent approach to biennial publicity and outreach, and to target and pitch press for specific artists and events.
- Liaise with Archival Photographer and other freelance photographers to obtain and download event photos, and then select and distribute press images as quickly as possible.
- Plan and produce special press events including cocktails, previews, and a biennial press conference.
- Oversee Junior and intern staff to manage press invitations, ticket lists and check-in for all Performa-produced events, organize and maintain press clippings, distribute press images, do follow-up and maintain smooth operation and distribution of information.
Marketing related responsibilities
- Collaborate with Senior staff to develop, produce and distribute all print marketing materials for the organization, including brochures, cards, and a print and digital marketing campaign for biennial, including save-the-date cards, program brochure, sub-programs, and advertisements.
- Write, design, and implement distribution schedule of all email announcements sent from the organization, including newsletters, press releases, event promotions, etc.
- Develop exciting new initiatives to expand Performa’s presence online and oversee all aspects of the organization’s online presence and social media, including its website, blog, Facebook, and Twitter accounts.
- Develop marketing and advertising partnerships, sponsorships, and collaborations with companies and community groups.
- Draft, edit, and proofread all marketing texts for biennial materials, including promotional texts for all performances, in coordination with Performa curatorial team and consortium organizations.
- Work with web developers to design and launch new website for the biennial, including creating and finalizing all text to be used on new site.
- Plan and execute advertising campaign for the biennial, including negotiating advertising sponsorships with media outlets, purchasing ads, and supervising graphic designers to create ads, and delivering final materials to media outlets for print or publication online.
- Co-ordinate with graphic designers and Performa staff to finalize and print all marketing materials on schedule.
- Fulfilling corporate sponsorship marketing related benefits.
- Minimum of 4 years experience working in the visual or performing arts in a publicity position
- Strong press contacts, especially within the art press, and a proven track record of garnering publicity for live performance or visual art projects
- Knowledge of press outlets and writers across disciplines—not just visual art, but also dance, theater, music, film, etc.
- Experience creating and distributing print marketing materials
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to think quickly, problem-solve, and make decisions in high-pressure situations
- Strong organizational skills, including an ability to multitask and handle several different projects at once
- Experience working with graphic designers and the delivery of print and digital materials
- Diplomatic attitude and ability to negotiate between several different parties
- Extensive knowledge of contemporary art and performance
- Experience with cultivating and brokering corporate sponsorship
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience. Due to the high volume of applications expected, we will only be able to respond to qualified candidates.
|About Our Company
||Performa, a non-profit multidisciplinary arts organization established by RoseLee Goldberg in 2004, is dedicated to exploring the critical role of live performance in the history of twentieth century art and to encouraging new directions in performance for the twenty-first century. Performa launched New York City’s, indeed the nation’s, first performance biennial, to show that performance is central to the history of twentieth century art and that it has shaped that history in profound ways; to create a dedicated biennial for performance, using New York City, where performance has been so critical to its cultural history, as a platform; and to write the next chapter of performance by commissioning new works for the twenty-first century. Performa is a growing arts organization led by a dynamic leader and realized by a small but ambitious team. If you are looking for an opportunity to utilize your commercial industry skills to help market and promote the most cutting edge contemporary art than this is your chance! We are looking for a self starter who will enjoy big challenges and working with a small team in a fun, fast-paced cultural environment.