|Publication or Company
||United States Institute of Peace (USIP)
||401K/403B, Dental, Health
Typesets, coordinates, and traffics Institute materials through the production and printing process ensuring timely delivery. Provides serial data and transfers files to vendors for printing, ePubs, and archiving. Designs Institute materials as needed. Position requires strong CS5 skills and attention to detail.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Typesetting and Design (50%)
• Designs and lays out print-ready documents for publication materials, which include books, reports, advertisements, flyers, marketing products, web-only products, and miscellaneous materials as needed.
• Knowledge of good type and design principles.
B. Production and Project Coordination (20%)
• Tracks and enters updates to the Publications’ database and prepare reports.
• Prepares specifications and instructions for printers to print products and provides quotes.
• Evaluates printing quotes and provides information for bid review and selection.
• Research photos and illustrations for use on book covers, corporate materials, and marketing collateral.
• Assigns ISBNs and e-ISBN for books and reports.
• Maintains the Press’s list of used and unused ISBNs.
• Create barcodes for Institute Press products.
• Submits all books to the Library of Congress for copyright and manages the deposit account.
• Prepares project files for print.
C. POD, ePubs, and Digital Assests (15%)
• Prepares publications for print-on-demand and uploads files to vendor.
• Uploads publication for e-book conversion and provides assets for deposits.
• Works with vendors on any issues that arise.
D. Communication with Vendors and Staff (15%)
• Provides information and instruction to outside vendors to ensure proper printing and on time deliver of materials.
• Responds to request from staff for art, PDFs, and miscellaneous materials.
• Communicates with staff during production of materials in order to complete product and maintain schedule.
• Applicants must be U.S. citizens or nationals of countries listed in our Foreign Hiring Policy. To view our Foreign Hiring Policy click here.
• 2 years experience in publishing, preferably including books and reports.
• Mastery of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, FileMaker, Excel, Acrobat, Word. Provide samples of typesetting and design work.
• Publishing knowledge of typesetting, design, and commercial printing and binding.
• Experience in project management and trafficking through databases.
• Familiar with proofreader’s marks, publishing terminology, Chicago and AP style.
• Ability to work independently in a complex environment; and strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
• Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
|About Our Company
||USIP is the independent, nonpartisan conflict management center created by Congress to prevent and mitigate international conflict without resorting to violence. USIP works to save lives, increase the government's ability to deal with conflicts before they escalate, reduce government costs, and enhance our national security.
Web Address: www.usip.org