|Publication or Company
||Future US, Inc
||Part-time Art Director
||South San Francisco, CA
||Do you love typography, photography, and craft? The creative team behind Crochet Today magazine is currently seeking an art director to bring a fresh eye to its pages. As the lead designer, you will be tasked with redesigning the magazine and ensuring that the magazine’s look is in tune with its brand values and continually evolves and improves. This position is Part-time working approximately 3 days a week.
Areas of Responsibility:
• Create a strong and flexible visual identity for “The Product” which clearly communicates the magazine’s brand values
• Design and layout pages for the magazine
• Review and approve art materials, copy materials, and proofs of printed copy developed by staff members and freelancers
• Discuss and plan features with the magazine’s editors to ensure that all editorial is commissioned with a strong visual concept
• Develop and finesse the design of each issue so the magazine is always fresh and exciting
• Work with the non-magazine production staff to ensure that all deadlines are met, that production are kept informed of the status of pages and that final proofs are signed out
• Commissioning of illustration and photography — ensure that all freelancers have been properly briefed and have a clear understanding of what is required of them, that each has signed a contract and that their payments are processed on time
• Coordinate photo shoots and printing sessions to ensure that the products needed are obtained.
• Keep abreast of possible production issues — constantly liase with the editorial team to ensure scheduling problems are immediately addressed
• Source new talent; illustrators, photographers and graphic designers
• Hire, train, and direct staff members who develop design concepts into art layouts or who prepare layouts for printing.
• Actively participate in brainstorms, planning meetings and post mortems etc.
• Suggest ways to improve the magazine “The Product” or magazines
• Lead the art direction of new business pitches related to the group
• Keep the Editor-in-Chief informed of design issues as they arise (problems with layout, concepts, freelancers, artwork, production, redesigns, staff matters etc.) so that suggestions can be made in good time.
• Any other reasonable requests as made by manager
• Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans and magazine layouts.
• Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning and resource allocation.
• Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
• Knowledge of the market place and the target demographic.
• Experience as an Art Director
• Experience managing staff members.
• Experience managing a pool of freelancers.
• 7-plus years’ experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design or related degree.
|About Our Company
Future plc is an international media group and leading digital publisher, listed on the London Stock Exchange (symbol: FUTR). It has operations in the UK, US and Australia creating 200 publications, apps, websites and events. It holds market-leading positions in Technology, Gaming, Entertainment, Creative and Sport & Auto sectors. Future attracts 50 million monthly global unique users to its websites, which include techradar.com, gamesradar.com, bikeradar.com and musicradar.com. Future sells more than 24 million magazines every year, that’s 45 magazines sold every minute. Our most well-known brands in the US include Mac|Life, Maximum PC, PC Gamer and Official Xbox Magazine. We deliver over 100 digital editions, selling over two million products in the last 12 months through Apple’s Newsstand for iPad. Future exports or syndicates over 200 publications to over 90 countries, making us the UK’s number one exporter and licensor of magazine content. Future is currently Consumer Digital Publisher of the Year for both the Association of Online Publishers and the Professional Publishers Association.
What we offer:
• 401K Match
• Corporate Matching Program
• A casual, comfortable dress environment.
• A culture that encourages a passion for life both inside and outside of the office.
• Free shuttle service from BART and CalTrain to the office.