About our company
Springer Science+Business Media is one of the most prestigious international scientific publishers of books, journals, and electronic media today, with subsidiaries and representatives all over the world. Our publications range from medicine to all fields of life sciences, and from mathematics to engineering. Wherever scientific research is carried out, highly qualified experts count themselves among Springer's authors, including a large number of Nobel prize winners. Around 7,000 people are employed by the Springer Group worldwide.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Responsible for growth of company's physics portfolio via acquisition as well as development of existing assets consistent with the company's reputation as a high quality, high level publisher. Involves extensive author and editor contact, journal management, book (and journal) proposal review, contract negotiation, preparation of manuscripts for production, promotional planning and monitoring of sales, budget and financial planning, long range planning for growth and development of the program and management of editorial support staff. Specific responsibilities include:
- Assesses trends and funding in Physics, evaluates strategies, strengths and weaknesses of competitors.
- Prepares long-term planning documents and strategic goals as requested.
- Maintains communication with US, European and Asian editorial counterparts about specific immediate questions as well as long term strategy questions.
- Reviews and discusses new projects and plans with editorial colleagues particularly in overlapping areas.
- Pursues an active and efficient acquisitions policy through correspondence, required meetings/trips, telephone, consultations with advisors, etc. Approximately 20% 50% travel as well as strong initiative and independent functioning.
- Prepares and executes publishing contracts.
- Maintains and develops a circle of reviewers and advisors and evaluates their judgments.
Project Development and Management
- Manages and develops a selection of physics journals.
- Supervises final editorial preparation of manuscripts for production.
- Discusses, assumes and proposes financial and budgetary plans for program.
- Develops guidelines, plans, reporting systems, etc., for publishing plans and projects.
- Monitors staffing requirements and trains and develops staff.
- Performs related duties as required.
College degree with advanced degree in the specific subject area required. Experience as an editor or related editorial/publishing experience and/or Ph.D in the field highly desirable. Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills required. Must be willing and able to travel.
Please apply using our online application system.
Visit our web site at www.springer.com.
We regret that we are unable to respond to each resume. Only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Springer Science+Business Media, LLC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.