Job ID: 2013-5505
Campus: Wilf-Amsterdam Ave & 185th St
Employee Classification: Exempt
Department: Communications and Public Affairs - Manhattan
Position Type: Regular Full-Time
Founded in 1886, Yeshiva University (YU) has a strong tradition of combining Jewish scholarship with academic excellence and achievement in the liberal arts, sciences, medicine, law, business, social work, Jewish studies, education, psychology, and more.
We are a leading global educational institution that employs over 4,500 people across our various campus locations -- Wilf Campus, Beren Campus, Brookdale Center, Resnick Campus in the Bronx, the Gruss Institute in Jerusalem, the Boys High School in Manhattan and the Girls High School in Queens. From the distinguished faculty who teach here, to the dedicated staff, we work to fulfill our mission: to “bring wisdom to life” through all that we teach, by all that we do and for all those we serve. We seek to attract and retain engaged and committed individuals who contribute to an exciting working environment, where there is a sense of community and belonging, balanced with a significant cross section of people from diverse backgrounds working and studying together.
The University offers an excellent compensation package, and a broad range of employee benefit plans, including immediate participation in the University’s retirement plan. Staff members are typically eligible for four weeks paid vacation each year and a shuttle to nearby subway locations.
The Publications Editor reports to the Director of Media Relations and the Executive Director of the Office of Communications and Public Affairs (CPA) and is responsible for obtaining and disseminating the news of the University through a variety of vehicles including print, Web and interactive media. These vehicles include a quarterly University newsletter, marketing materials, the University news site and press releases to media. The Publications Editor will work with the news/media team, graphic designers, photo journalist and other content managers to achieve the timely distribution of the University’s message.
- Serve as a writer, editor and proofreader for Yeshiva University’s major publications and news site
- Write and edit stories for YUToday.
- Write and proofread articles and press releases for the University News site
- Provide coverage for a multitude of University events (including off-campus and evening/weekend events).
- Maintain style and usage guidelines to ensure quality and consistency across all media.
- Assist media relations team on pitching stories to media and developing public relations
- Support internal clients with editorial content
- Provide editorial support to Interactive Marketing and Media department
- Have a firm understanding of how graphic design, layout and photography support the marketing message of the institution and its mission
- Establish and maintain channels with University departments and constituencies with a goal of encouraging a consistent and timely flow of news into CPA from these areas
- Recognize opportunities for news and cover or assign coverage of events, programs and newsworthy activities
Experience and Educational Background:
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree in Journalism preferred
- 2 – 3 years experience writing/editing in a news or higher education environment
Skills and Competencies:
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills
- Outstanding copy editing skills
- Strong researcher and interviewer
Yeshiva University is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.