|Publication or Company
||Internet/Online/New Media, Newspapers, Non-profit
||401K/403B, Dental, Flexible Hours, Health
||San Francisco, CA
||This position is responsible for overseeing Earthjustice’s media relations, including designing and implementing national and regional media campaigns, conducting media training for program staff, and developing innovative media strategies. The Media Director contributes to organizational strategy sessions and message development efforts. In addition, the position supervises press secretaries and media contractors who provide media services to Earthjustice offices. The Media Director assumes responsibility for providing direct media services to the Alaska, Hawaii and Bozeman offices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
• Work with the VP Communications, press secretaries and press contractors to set goals and success metrics for earned media.
• Create, develop and implement innovative news strategies for Earthjustice, including resource decisions, developing spokespersons, creating messages.
• Work with VP Communications, Campaign Director and program staff to prioritize the level of earned media attention for cases/issues on the docket.
• Integrate media strategies with other communications outreach activities and develop organizational messages.
• Track media trends, evaluate press coverage, and adjust strategies accordingly.
• Find opportunities to promote Earthjustice at national media events.
• Partner with other Communications staff in developing pitches for long form media.
• Supervise two press secretaries and press contractors.
• Conduct performance reviews annually for direct reports.
• Develop Press budget for the fiscal year, manage, and track throughout the year.
• Work with program staff to develop interview skills for a variety of media.
• Train program staff on assessing their media needs throughout the life of a case.
• Prepare and distribute Earthjustice press training materials.
Media Relations Responsibilities
• Direct responsibility for press outreach on behalf of a few regional offices.
• Develop a deep understanding of office dockets and build relationships with program staff and regional reporters.
• Prepare press releases and contribute content to the quarterly magazine, online newsletter, blog, and the Earthjustice website.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Environmental Studies, Political Science or History preferred.
• A minimum of ten years’ experience in media relations for non-profits with emphasis on environment preferred.
• Proven track record in pitching stories to reporters required.
• Experience in planning and implementing media strategies.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• Knowledge and ability to use Internet and multimedia communications tools.
• Experience managing staff to achieve goals.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. For full position description and to learn more about Earthjustice visit www.earthjustice.org.
Interested candidates should submit a resume along with cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Media Director” in the subject line.
NO TELEPHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
|About Our Company
||Earthjustice is the original environmental law organization, built on the belief that we all have a right to a healthy environment. We fight, using the power of the law to preserve, protect, and promote a healthier, more sustainable world for everyone. Through far-reaching, high-impact litigation, we ensure that those who jeopardize the health of the planet are held accountable to the law. We work tenaciously to preserve our natural heritage, safeguard our health, and promote a clean energy future.
Earthjustice has nine regional offices, an international program, and legislative policy and communications advocacy teams. We hire the best and brightest who share our passion for justice and a healthy environment for all people.