|Publication or Company
||The Culinary Institute of America
||Sr. Director Marketing
||Hyde Park, NY
||Under the leadership of the Vice President – Admissions & Marketing, the Senior Director – Marketing leads the school's integrated brand marketing strategy to advance our position and reputation as the world’s premier culinary college, and to build awareness, preference and demand for CIA products and services across all relevant target groups. The position provides strategic leadership and management oversight for the college’s marketing plans, campaigns and programs for degree education, certificate education, thought leadership and philanthropy, campus restaurants and tourism, and retail, embracing the college’s three domestic campuses and international operations. As both a strategist and a hands-on leader, the Senior Director will be responsible for developing a cohesive vision and marketing strategy for the CIA brand, and for leading its translation to the development, implementation and daily management of integrated communications programs for all CIA services and products – utilizing a broad range of digital and traditional communications tools. The position also provides strategic leadership and management oversight for the college’s internal and external marketing services resources and champions the testing and adoption of innovations to increase marketing effectiveness and efficiency.
• Work with senior leadership to refine the strategic positioning of the CIA brand and define the strategies that will build brand awareness and meaning, differentiate the school, strengthen competitiveness, and integrate communications
• Provide consultation to the vice president, president, and other senior leaders to support achievement of college objectives and identify marketing priorities
• Lead a staff of marketing management, public relations, and marketing services professionals to develop and execute annual marketing plans, campaigns, and integrated communications programs that build the college’s brand, communicate the college’s thought leadership, recruit students, drive conference and IP sales, promote philanthropy, and build restaurant, tourism, and retail sales. Lead the development of marketing communications content and programs to support enrollment goals, guiding message, creative and targeting strategy, and collaborating closely with the Office of Admissions. Ensure that marketing management accomplishes all programs on time and on budget, and uphold CIA brand image and excellence. Monitor, analyze and report on program results for all major marketing initiatives. Direct ongoing quality improvements across all marketing plans.
• Direct the Web Marketing team to oversee and provide strategic direction for the school’s web site and digital communications. Make the CIA website a key marketing tool for conveying our mission and its importance to constituents. Monitor online/digital trends and innovations, and lead the implementation of effective and emerging communication strategies including interactive and social media to increase the reach and impact of CIA online communications.
• Direct the Creative Services team to oversee and provide strategic direction for the development, design, and implementation of marketing and institutional communications in the form of print publications, online publications, print marketing collateral, video productions, and advertising in selected mediums while managing and meeting multiple deadlines and ensuring all communications meet identified objectives, are accomplished within budget, and uphold CIA brand image and excellence.
• Develop and implement an annual public relations program that supports CIA brand leadership and promotes CIA education accomplishments and innovations, thought leadership, new products and services, and events to build CIA awareness, favorable attitudes, and purchase or donation interest among targeted audiences. Direct the Communications and Public Relations team on platform and media strategy and messaging. Advise senior leadership on publicity strategies, and develop communications for the president and senior leadership as needed. Provide leadership and direct support on crisis communications, working closely with Administration, Security and senior leadership. Serve as the CIA's spokesperson for crisis communications.
• Direct all communications and public relations with an appreciation of state and federal higher education policy and the College's unique relationship to the community and the region
• Create, maintain, and lead effective organization structures and processes for cross-college marketing coordination, integration and optimization
• Engage and direct external marketing resources – such as ad agencies, public relations agencies, or design firms – as required to support marketing strategy, program and communications development
• Oversee and manage the hiring, professional development, and annual evaluation process for department directors and their subordinates; provide infrastructure, budgets, and policy guidelines for departments.
• Provide annual plans, regular progress reports, business analyses, program evaluations and other information to the Vice President – Admissions & Marketing, the College President, and the Cabinet.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited educational institution in Marketing or Communications
• 10 – 15 years of progressively responsible experience in marketing and communications management, with experience in higher education preferred
• Demonstrated experience and success with brand development and current marketing and communications strategies and tools, including direct marketing via traditional and digital mediums and customer engagement via social media platforms
• A record of developing and executing successful marketing and communications campaigns and programs that achieve specific, measurable results
• Experience in leading a brand marketing and communications organization in an academic or similar non-profit environment is highly desirable
• Experience in directing web site development , campaign and other creative communications development, publicity strategy,
• Experience using market research and data analysis in implementing marketing plans
• Extensive experience working with executive-level personnel
• Extensive management experience developing policies, directing department operations and developing staff
• Management of a multi-functional marketing team
• MBA with Marketing concentration
• Marketing strategic thinking and annual planning skills and knowledge
• Demonstrated knowledge of integrated brand and marketing communications utilizing a broad range of direct marketing, publicity, advertising, and promotion tools. Strong knowledge of emerging communications trends, tools, and best practices.
• Ability to lead and manage multiple plans and programs with excellent organization, planning, strategic and innovative thinking, focus, flexibility, and timeliness in collaboration with others; mature judgment and decision-making ability; must maintain confidentiality at all levels of the organization (internally and externally)
• Ability to lead, integrate, encourage and motivate a high-functioning team of directors; effective team building skills
• Strong, direct and positive interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in team settings, with senior leadership and with a diverse range of internal and external colleagues. Self-motivated
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and an ability to work constructively with a variety of constituents
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, prioritize, and consistently meet deadlines
|About Our Company
||The Culinary Institute of America is an independent, not-for-profit college offering bachelor's and associate degrees in culinary arts and baking and pastry arts as well as certificate programs in culinary arts, Latin cuisines, and wine and beverage studies. As the world's premier culinary college, the CIA provides thought leadership in the areas of health & wellness, sustainability, and world cuisines & cultures through research and conferences. The CIA has a network of 44,000 alumni that includes industry leaders such as Grant Achatz, Anthony Bourdain, Roy Choi, Cat Cora, Dan Coudreaut, Steve Ells, Johnny Iuzzini, Charlie Palmer, and Roy Yamaguchi. The CIA also offers courses for professionals and enthusiasts, as well as consulting services in support of innovation for the foodservice and hospitality industry. The college has campuses in Hyde Park, NY; St. Helena, CA; San Antonio, TX; and Singapore.