|Publication or Company
||International Rescue Committee
||Media & Information Officer
||Internet/Online/New Media, Non-profit, Other Publishing, Public Relations
||401K/403B, Dental, Health
||Goma, DR Congo
||The Media and Information Officer will lead the IRC's internal and external communications efforts in Congo. The successful candidate will work closely with senior staff and the IRC's global communications team to develop and implement communications strategies that spotlight the IRC's humanitarian aid work and key advocacy issues, while also respecting the dignity and safety of our beneficiaries. S/he will be the focal point for media relations, coordinating media response and outreach, will serve as an in-house reporter, producing multi-media and other content for the IRC's web site, publications, marketing materials and for external media placement, and will produce informational materials for use by a range of IRC departments around the world.
* Work with Congo and global communications team to develop communications strategies to raise the IRC's visibility and inform key audiences, globally and locally, about the IRC's work and advocacy issues in Congo.
* Pro-actively network and pitch stories to international and national media about humanitarian conditions and needs, IRC programs and advocacy priorities.
* Respond to information requests from the news media, arrange interviews and assist journalists and photographers in coordinating coverage.
* Work with field office management to arrange reporters' field visits, and accompany as required.
* Write and issue press releases and organize press briefings on behalf of the IRC or in coordination with NGO partners.
* Coach staff and prepare them for media interviews and visits.
* Write and produce multi-media content, including stories, blogs, tweets, commentaries, photographs and video for varied use on the IRC's web site and social media networks, publications, marketing materials, internal and external newsletters and external media outlets.
* Produce factsheets and other informational and promotional materials about the IRC's program in Congo.
* Assist in the research and writing of briefing materials and advocacy papers.
* Train staff on reporting, information-gathering, photography and data collection.
* Facilitate information sharing between the Congo program and key IRC staff in New York, Washington and London.
* Support visits by high-profile individuals, including donors and IRC Voices.
* Attend and/or represent the IRC at coordination meetings. Collect and disseminate information.
* Degree in journalism, international affairs or related field.
* At least five years of experience in journalism and/or international field work with media/public relations responsibilities.
* Excellent oral and written communications skills: must be a polished writer, compelling story-teller, meticulous editor and effective spokesperson and advocate.
* Ability to produce impactful press releases under tight deadlines
* Keen understanding of mainstream and new media
* A positive and proactive self-starter, with strong networking and pitching skills
* Ability to successfully coordinate coverage with staff and journalists, while navigating sensitive subject matter
* Strong photography and video/editing skills a plus
* Must have experience working overseas in a developing country or conflict zone.
* Ability to handle many projects at the same time and be organized and efficient.
* Ability to effectively work as part of team in an emergency, cross-cultural or politically sensitive setting.
* Strong inter-personal, cultural and diplomatic skills.
* Fluency in French and English, spoken and written, is required.
***Must provide links to at least three relevant and published samples of your writing when applying for position***
|About Our Company
||The International Rescue Committee is one of the largest providers of relief and development assistance in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The IRC works in seven of Congo's provinces, carrying out health, governance, community development, women's protection and empowerment and education programs as well as delivering emergency assistance in areas affected by conflict. We are seeking an experienced and dynamic communications professional to join our team.