|Publication or Company
||The Globe Newspapers, Inc
||Content producer Job
||Internet/Online/New Media, Newspapers
||Online Content Producer
Boston.com is seeking a motivated self-starter with sharp editorial and online skills and news judgment to fill the role of health and wellness content producer in our offices at The Boston Globe in Boston.
Experience in journalism in an online publishing environment and online production skills are required. Experience covering health issues Ė as a reporter, editor, or producer -- is strongly preferred.
Boston.com, a website of The Boston Globe, is one of the top regional news websites in the United States, and has won innumerable awards since its inception in 1995, including Online Journalism Awards, EPpys, and New England Emmys for video production.
The mission of Boston.comís health and wellness section is to provide readers with news, information, resources, advice, discussions, and other content from a variety of sources to help them easily find everything they need to know about health and wellness, and to build a community for readers. We encourage readers to contribute to the site and discuss issues with each other, Globe reporters, and outside experts.
The primary responsibilities of the content producer will be to update and grow the health and wellness section on Boston.com. The producer will work directly with Globe bloggers/reporters, the Globeís health and science editor, other experts who contribute to the site, and Boston.com users who engage in the section. The goal is to produce a site where readers go every day for updated news and resources related to health and wellness. The producer will work with editors and other departments to grow traffic to the section, with the goal being to increase both page views and unique users as well as find ways to continuously reach the local audience.
- Update and grow the health and wellness section on Boston.com.
- Work directly with Boston.com and Globe staff to brainstorm ideas, execute features, and produce the overall site
- Interactivity: Book and produce live chats with reporters and experts on various health-related topics; run discussion forums for readers to talk with each other about health topics; brainstorm and execute reader-generated features
-Utilize social media, including Facebook and Twitter, to reach a broader network and help grow traffic
- Work closely with Globe health bloggers/reporters, contributing to the blogs and editing posts when needed
- Update sections of Boston.com with Boston Globe content and wire service stories, rewrite breaking news reports from TV and radio and take live breaking news reports from reporters and editors.
- Select stories, write teases, and rewrite headlines. Enhance articles with photos, photo galleries, message boards, polls, chats, video, background articles from the archives, related links to other websites and multimedia material. Maintain special news sections to house a series or continuing coverage of an event
Use knowledge of other health websites and information about the field to work collaboratively with other teams (Product, Design, Technology, Marketing, Sales, Research) at Boston.com and the Globe
The successful candidate will have:
- 3 to 5 years of journalism experience; online experience, especially with with health web sites, preferred.
- Experience with publishing content online; familiarity with a CMS preferred.
- Ability to confidently make editorial judgments.
- Familiarity with a variety of web tools, including knowledge of basic HTML and Photoshop.
- An ability to write, edit, and create compelling story packages. Published writing samples, including personal blogs, will be evaluated.
- Familiarity with and participation in social networking sites; involvement with special-interest health sites a plus.
- Understanding of SEO concepts.
- Ability to work within a close-knit editorial team; ability to identify cross-promotional opportunities within Boston.com to maximize page views and content quality.
- A Bachelorís degree is required.
The Boston Globe is wholly owned by the New York Times Company (NYSE: NYT), a leading, global multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, that includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, and related properties. The Company's core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
Boston.com is one of the most visited regional portals in the U.S. and is wholly owned by The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, that includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, About.com and related properties. The Company's core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
EEO Statement: The Boston Globe is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The Boston Globe is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
Boston.com values the contribution of all its employees. We recognize their efforts by offering a competitive compensation plan plus bonus potential and an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k), and more. This position is covered by a union collective bargaining agreement.
At Boston Globe Media, we embrace diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.