|Publication or Company
||The College Board
||User Experience Designer
||New York, NY
||User Experience Designer
Job ID: JAL20133004-11253
User Experience Designer
The College Board is looking for a versatile user experience designer who is fluent in information architecture, interaction, and visual design. The UXD will work closely with interdisciplinary teams to gather and understand key business strategies and user needs, and to translate the strategies and needs into compelling design solutions. Ideally this is an individual with an aptitude for the creation of new paradigms, and a history of driving successful, game changing design. We see design as beginning with the conception of the product and iterating throughout the release cycle, not a veneer to be applied at the end.
• Utilize user-centered methodologies to understand and analyze user experience, expectations and requirements
• Participate in high-level use case definition, prototyping, and other activities to capture and develop user requirements and integrate these into the product design
• Design and simulate user interface and interaction flow using wireframing tools
• Lead the UI/UX development to creatively solve complex visual and interaction design challenges for Web, mobile, tablet and other digital devices.
• Develop and maintain design mockups, usage scenarios, prototype specifications, navigation maps, and other design documents
• Create user flows, hi-res wireframes, information architecture and compelling user interfaces
• Work with the feature development teams to ensure that the workflow represents the customer’s needs and ensure consistency among features
• Develop expert-level knowledge of competition and complementary products
• Define innovative user interfaces and interaction rules which result in improved user productivity
• Create rapid prototypes and mockups for user testing and product development
• Create style guides and other production-ready design deliverables for use as specifications by other designers and developers.
• Participate in ongoing evaluations of our work to improve the quality and effectiveness of our services.
• Translates research findings into tangible designs
• BA in a related field (graphic, service, interaction design, HCI, industrial design, information science, social sciences, etc.) and/or equivalent years of successful work experience
• At least 6 to 9 years of experience in designing user experience. Agency or freelance experience required. A portfolio of visual design work is required.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
• Advanced understanding of visual design systems, hierarchy, typography, aesthetics, illustration, photography and composition.
• Broad knowledge of digital interaction design patterns, Web site architecture, user interfaces and navigation on various platforms (Web, mobile, tablet).
• Familiarity with user-centered research, such as usability testing, contextual inquiry, and field interviews
• Understanding of the physical, cognitive, cultural and social factors that affect design decisions.
• Experience in game design is a plus
• Prototyping skills using tools like Flash, Dreamweaver, and/or the knowledge of imaging/video domain applications will be a plus
• Knowledge of methodologies such as Iterative development and Agile.
• Strong interest in and aptitude for learning new technologies and design skills
• Competent in Balsamiq, Axure, Omnigraffle, or other wireframing tool
• Fluency in InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and other design tools
• A solid understanding of web and mobile design principles and best use of current web and mobile technologies and scalable dynamic user interfaces
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.
Desired Travel Less than 25%
Areas of Expertise Web Content/Editorial, Web User Experience/Design, Web Product Management
Highest Level of Education Bachelor's Degree
Job Type Full Time
Location New York, NY
Years of Relevant Experience 6-9