|Publication or Company
||Internet/Online/New Media, Marketing, Mobile, Non-profit, Sales/Advertising Sales, Social Media, Arts
||Flexible Hours, Health
Glasstire has been growing steadily and is now seeking to accelerate that growth. The board and Publisher are looking for a strategic, process-minded leader who is ambitious, entrepreneurial, and eager to help grow Glasstire into a national leader in arts journalism. The Associate Publisher must possess outstanding written and verbal communication skills. They must feel comfortable delegating, while also working in a small, entrepreneurial organization where all hands are typically on deck.
This position is based in Houston. Some travel is required to other Texas cities, and to events in other states. Regular attendance at evening and weekend art events is required, and should be something the Associate Publisher enjoys doing.
This is an opportunity to build on Glasstire’s history of 12 successful years, to shape its future, and ultimately to participate in our expansion into other regions in the country.
The primary responsibility of the Associate Publisher is to work with the Publisher on revenue-generating activity. This includes:
• Manage the daily tasks of the sponsorship sales funnel, from initial client contact through execution, scheduling and reporting
• Help plan and execute fundraising events
• Research and gather statistical information for grant writing
• Administrative support of donor cultivation.
In addition, the Associate Publisher will be expected to:
• Partner with the Publisher in essential internal leadership activities
• Foster a collaborative culture, participating in budget planning with the Publisher and Editor
• Help identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities
• Assist in monitoring the website’s functionality, notifying Publisher and Editor of any technical problems
• Report on sponsorship and new initiatives to the board of directors at 2-3 annual meetings.
This position reports to the Publisher.
• Bachelors degree required
• Exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills
• Passion for Glasstire’s mission and impact
• Strong track record of leadership
• Minimum of 5 years prior work experience required, preferably in the publishing and/or arts nonprofit sectors.
• Experience in editorial, publishing or ad sales preferred. Coursework or work experience in business, administration, communications or finance a plus.
• Must be detail-oriented, highly organized, and a self-starter. Glasstire does not maintain regular office hours, and the Associate Publisher is expected to manage their own schedule to fulfill their responsibilities.
• Proven ability to work with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
• Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people – junior and senior, for-profit and nonprofit, and from diverse backgrounds
• High-energy, outgoing individual who takes initiative and follows through
• Solid computer skills. MS Office and social media required; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, Quickbooks and Salesforce a plus.
|About Our Company
||Glasstire is an award winning non-profit website of visual art criticism. Founded in 2001, we are one of the oldest arts websites in the country. We entertain and challenge our readers with smart, timely, opinionated and readable art journalism. Our mission is to discover and defend the new.
Since its inception, Glasstire’s readership has steadily grown, with over 500,000 unique visitors in the past twelve months. Our budget is about $400,000, and we currently have a staff of five full- or part-time employees, in addition to about 30 regular freelance writers. In 2012, we launched a second site, in Southern California. Our short-term goals include strengthening our Texas and SoCal sites, while looking to launch a third site in the longer term.