Consumer Reports is looking for a seasoned editorial pro to join our Health and Food Consumer Focus Area. The ideal candidates will be well versed in the consumer health and food safety issues of the day, able work on compelling content across platforms from print to digital, and is passionate about marrying that content with our advocacy and safety groups to affect positive change in the consumer marketplace and in government policy
CR has a long history and vibrant present and future in the health and food safety space, from ASME nominations this year for our coverage on arsenic in rice and juice (which prompted FDA action), as well as ongoing coverage and testing on OTC & RX drugs, healthcare delivery, surgery safety rates at hospitals nationwide, and much more.
This role will...
- *Plan, assign, and edit stories for Consumer Reports on Health newsletter
- *Writes or edits health news stories based on reports, medical studies, interviews and/or research.
- *Adapts health copy for the web and other products or media
- *Attend story planning and art meetings, and help write headlines, captions, and other display copy.
- *Performs other duties of the department but not those of a higher level.
College graduates with at least 7 years work experience as a professional journalist, some of this as a web writer. The candidate needs substantial experience reporting, writing, and editing in at least some of these fields for consumer audiences: preventive health, outcomes research, nutrition, exercise, medications, supplements, common diseases, and health insurance. Able to interpret medical studies and translate them to accurate, readable newsletter articles.
Must be a fast-moving, organized self-starter who can meet tight deadlines. Able to generate compelling story ideas, work amiably with testing staff, physicians, and advocates.