It’s time to start getting excited about the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. With the opening game about six months away, ESPN is set to debut their first spot in their campaign promoting the event during tomorrow’s telecast of the 2014 Rose Bowl.
Set to “Festival” by Icelandic maestros, Sigur Rós, the spot is, somewhat predictably, a mixture of footage of Brazil and historical World Cup moments. But then, what more could you want to begin stoking anticipation for the world’s biggest sporting event? The spot ends with the crop of current superstars who seek to win thier place in the ranks of World Cup history this summer: Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Mario Balotelli, Robin van Persie, and Neymar.
For those of you super World Cup buffs, here’s a partial list of the historical moments featured in the spot:
- Pele and his triumphant celebration in 1970
- Germany’s Franz Beckenbauer and Dutch captain Johan Cruyff exchanging flags moments before the 1974 Final
- Diego Maradona and his brilliant performance for Argentina in 1986
- Zinedine Zidane, whose epic performance for France led the host country to win the Cup in 1998
- Andres Iniesta, whose beautiful strike sealed Spain’s first World Cup title in 2010
- Cameroonian striker Roger Milla’s famous dance in 1990
- Dutch legend Johan Cruyff’s immortal turn in 1974
- England striker Geoff Hurst’s record-setting three-goal performance in a World Cup title match in 1966
- Dutch striker Dennis Bergkamp’s memorable touch against Argentina in 1998
- Carlos Alberto’s wonder-strike for Brazil in 1970
- Paolo Rossi hoisting the cup for Italy in 1982
ESPN’s full World Cup campaign will roll out gradually over the next couple of months. Stick around for the extended, 90 second online version of the ad, along with credits, after the jump.
- McCann Compares Internet to Escalators for Verizon
- KBS+ Takes Bissell to the Subway in Gross Spot
- Translation Goes Back to School for Champs Sports
- BBDO Wants to Get You in the Kitchen for Uncle Ben's