|Publication or Company
||Entertainment, Internet/Online/New Media, Social Media, TV/Cable
New York, NY
||Content Planners at PIX11 are the GPS of the Newsroom: you know the big stories of today, tomorrow and beyond, how we’re going to best cover them and what we’re going to need to do it right. You also discover the hidden gems of news along the way and find new voices to tell our stories in the ways our viewers know they’re genuine and fresh.
As a Content Planner, you are driven by a love for logistics. You understand rules, regulations, and the best way to get an event out live, whether we broadcast it on television, stream it online, Tweet it out live or record it for playback later. Our audience has a voracious appetite so we need to plan to get information out to all media platforms regardless of the time of an event. The world is 24/7.
In addition to your meticulous knowledge of the Tri-State region and your lightning fast fact-finding skills (Lexis-Nexis, etc.) you also know how to use social media, email, and the telephone to secure access, interviews and favors, still the best currency in media.
Impeccable ethics define you and you play to win. Nothing hurts more than getting beaten on a story, when the competition finds a better guest, or being in the worst position for an event.
Specifically, you are constantly working the next news cycle and beyond, making sure PIX11’s news calendar is up-to-date and that our place is secure for all the big events. Your contact list is the envy of the newsroom and you are happy to help as the one people come to if they need a number or assistance in getting a guest booked or something done. You are creative and innovative, thinking of new ways to do things more efficiently, more organically, more urgently. Your precision with details and accuracy means our guests names appear correctly on our air and other facts pertaining to your work are rock solid.
You report to the Content Supervisor and take your cues from the ongoing calendar of events, big stories and breaking news. When coverage requires credentials, you are the one to get it done. You must be organized, efficient, discreet, confidential and meticulous. You’ll also work alongside our technical teams to make sure our crews are covered if they’re traveling and that any permits or permissions are secured in advance.
This position is a dream job for someone with detective skills who realizes that the best laid plans provide the foundation for solid coverage, even when they go out the window.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Maintain the PIX11 news calendar, ensuring producers and managers are aware of everything ahead and that from a news coverage standpoint, we are prepared.
• Gather details of big events to understand what’s involved in covering them, from a logistical, credential, engineering standpoint.
• Maintain and update database to provide PIX11 newscasts with a diverse and lively group of talented guests to add valuable perspective to a wide range of topics on our newscasts from breaking news to entertainment and sports to health and cultural and community issues.
• Be prepared to go into the community to learn the best way to cover events, provide PIX11 tech staff with information for site surveys.
• Provide critical information to Creative Services, Content Supervisor and other managers so they can determine whether and how to cover events.
• In the lead-up to and on the day of an event, function as a field producer, with all your knowledge of an event, working with talent, guests and news staff to ensure the smooth operations.
• College Degree
• 3-5 years as a booker, planner, segment producer or as an assignment desk editor.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Familiarity with Newsroom software, Lexis-Nexis and other research tools.
• Proficiency with Outlook, database, calendar and scheduling software programs
• Familiarity with live and remote News production workflows.