They examined a random sampling of tweets from the weeks before and after the new year for both 2013 and 2014, looking for common slang and phrases pertaining to tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana in order to assign tweets to these categories. The results are displayed in the infographic below.
- This year it was significantly more common for people to resolve to use more weed rather than less. Could be a result of recent laws legalizing the drug, and it being a part of national conversation in general of late.
- A clear majority of tweets about alcohol were about resolving to drink less, both in 2012-2013 and 2013-2014.
- Among resolutions about substance use, tobacco was far and away the most common subject of resolutions to quit. 64% resolved to smoke less last year, and 68% this year.
- Jennifer Lawrence, Brad Pitt, Gravity And THAT Selfie - Twitter's Reaction To The Oscars [INFOGRAPHIC]
- The World Of Social Media Monitoring And Analytics [INFOGRAPHIC]
- How To Build Your Digital Audience Across Social Media, Email And Mobile [INFOGRAPHIC]
- The Past, Present And Future Of Social Media [INFOGRAPHIC]