Nobody really cares about follower counts anymore, but once upon a time it was kind of a big deal.
Just over a year ago, Ashton Kutcher became the first Twitter user to boast one million followers, beating the (then unofficial) CNN breaking news account in the process, and helping push Twitter towards the mainstream.
At the time of writing, Kutcher has 4,855,185 followers, which gives some idea of Twitter’s amazing growth over the past 12 months. But his reign atop the social network is about to come to an end, as Britney Spears, with 4,834,264 followers, and climbing much faster than Ashton, is about to seize his crown.
All things continuing as they are, Spears should be number one before the end of this month. And with the inevitable fanfare and media attention that will bring, she’ll likely hold that position for quite some time.
A couple of things to remember:
- The Spears’ account is managed. Sure, she does a few updates herself from time to time, but most of the tweets are from her team. Kutcher updates himself. Whatever you think of the man and the value of celebrity on Twitter, that’s an important difference.
- Otherwise, and as I said, nobody really cares.
Still, in many ways we’re nearing the end of an era. Looking ahead, Ellen Degeneres is climbing at least as fast as Ashton, and one shouldn’t be too surprised to see the likes of Lady Gaga, Kim Kardashian and @Oprah Winfrey moving above him in the months to come. And after that, we’ll be looking at the wilderness period that will become known as ‘The Bieber Years’. Dark days indeed.
All credit where it’s due, but I think if Ashton is still in the top ten this time next year, he’ll have done very well indeed.
- Joan Rivers Dishes On Her Twitter Strategy At Internet Week NY
- Social Media Revolution: A Parody [VIDEO]
- Michael Ian Black's Sponsored Tweet For Dos Equis Gets Serious Flack From Twitterverse
- The 20 Most Popular Brands On Twitter [STATS]