Twitter’s search feature is one of the platform’s most powerful tools* and yesterday Twitter added the ability for marketers to promote their account to users in search results.
Promoted Accounts are a very effective way to drive awareness of and new followers to your Twitter Profile. Indeed, in my opinion it’s the only legitimate way to “buy” followers on Twitter, and with just a little bit of attention you can almost guarantee relevant, real people signing up to see your tweets. The option to now display your profile in search should further boost the ROI on this already powerful marketing feature.
With this launch, relevant Promoted Accounts can be presented to users in search results along with recommendations of people to follow. We automatically select relevant search queries for presenting Promoted Accounts based on an advertiser’s targeting choices, so no additional action is required for your business to access this capability.
Putting scruples firmly to one side, you could promote your Twitter profile directly to anyone who searches for your biggest competitor. After all, that’s what everyone’s been doing on Google Adwords for years.
* For best results for searches on Twitter, use Topsy. Topsy indexes and return results from every tweet in Twitter’s history, while Twitter only shows you a selection, which is a bit hit and miss. Alas, you won’t see Twitter ads on Topsy. Win some, etc.
- The Queen of Twitter: British Monarch Sends First Tweet
- Twitter's 'Digits' Will Let You Sign Up For Third Party Apps With Your Phone Number
- New From Twitter: Fabric, a Modular Mobile Platform for App Developers
- Flight, Twitter's First Mobile Developer Conference, Launches Today