Earlier today we took a (somewhat cheeky) look at the history of social media, as told by some of the key social networks we’ve seen arrive (and, in a few cases, depart) over the past decade.
But, really, social media as we know it today has only really come to be a force in the last five years or so, with the period from 2008 until the present day effectively changing everything we thought we knew about online communication, brand messaging and marketing.
HootSuite is celebrating its fifth birthday today and, being the swell folks that they are, they’re drawn together this nifty infographic which takes a closer look at the past five years.
Here are some key stats:
- There are around 1.7 billion social media users worldwide
- Back in 2008, Facebook (130 million), LinkedIn (30 million) and Twitter (just one million!) were tiny compared to their present selves
- HootSuite estimates a combined value of the top social networks at a heady $150 billion
Check out the visual below.
- Why Visual Content Matters in the Social Age [INFOGRAPHIC]
- 35 Must-Have Content Marketing Tools [INFOGRAPHIC]
- The 6 Elements Of A Powerful Blog Post [INFOGRAPHIC]
- A Day in the Life of Bitly [INFOGRAPHIC]