With some 3.5 billion fans across the globe, football – or soccer if you’re in the U.S. – is far and away the most popular sport in the world.
That popularity has quickly bled into social media. Indeed, football’s adage that it’s “played by millions, and watched by billions” could equally be applied to Twitter, perhaps (somewhat awkwardly) rephrased as, “followed by millions, with tweets in the billions”.
But which teams are faring best? Barcelona leads the way, about a million fans ahead of its great rival, Real Madrid. However, Barcelona also has two other Twitter profiles in the top 10, with its Spanish and Catalan-tweeting accounts also boasting millions of fans.
But excluding all other-language profiles (Real Madrid also has English, Arabic and Japanese-tweeting accounts!), and focusing only on a team’s top profile, here are the top 10 most popular football clubs on Twitter.
1. FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona, 10,995,752 fans)
2. Real Madrid C. F. (@realmadrid, 9,996,791)
3. Galatasaray SK (@GalatasaraySK, 3,497,753)
4. Arsenal FC (@Arsenal, 3,392,031)
5. Chelsea FC (@chelseafc, 3,297,749)
6. Real Madrid C.F. (@realmadriden, 3,071,193)
7. Fenerbahçe SK (@Fenerbahce, 2,689,105)
8. Liverpool FC (@LFC, 2,293,114)
9. Manchester United (@ManUtd, 1,811,488)
10. Corinthians Paulista (@Corinthians, 1,468,052)
Of note: English Premier League contenders Manchester City (@MCFC) are currently in 11th place overall on Twitter with 1.45 million fans. Look for them to break into the top 10 in Q1 of this year.
(Football image via Shutterstock.)
- Twitter Diversity Statistics: 70% Male Globally, 59% White, 29% Asian in U.S. [REPORT]
- Millionaires Love Facebook, Ignore Twitter
- Facebook: 23% of all Social Traffic in June (Pinterest Dips, Twitter Flat at 1%) [STATS]
- Pinterest, Tumblr Drive More Website Traffic Than Twitter, Says StatCounter [STATS]