Katy Perry continues to reign supreme as Queen of Twitter, adding almost one million new followers in the past month to move ever closer to the hallowed 50 million follower mark, and is now almost a million clear from previous Twitter numero uno, Justin Bieber.
With Bieber falling away Perry faces essentially no competition on Twitter, with third placed Lady Gaga, who was Twitter’s most popular user longer than anybody before being caught by Bieber and then Perry, likely to be passed by President Obama (currently in the four spot) over the next couple of months.
The rest of Twitter’s top 10 remains static, but Cristiano Ronaldo (23,556,581 followers) and Shakira (23,289,182) are both looking good bets to climb above Ellen Degeneres early in 2014.
Here’s an updated look at Twitter’s 10 most-popular individuals.
1. Katy Perry (@katyperry, 49,076,834 followers)
2. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 48,193,279)
3. Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 41,039,682)
4. Barack Obama (@barackobama, 40,788,818)
5. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 37,975,392)
6. Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 35,007,882)
7. Rihanna (@rihanna, 33,436,756)
8. Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake, 29,590,387)
9. Jennifer Lopez (@JLo, 26,115,215)
10. Ellen Degeneres (@TheEllenShow, 24,279,956)
(Source: Twitter Counter.)
- New York Fashion Week on Twitter: More Than 1.2 Million Tweets About #NYFW
- Twitter: More Than 2.4 Million Tweets About #AppleLive (Peaking at 32,305 TPM)
- 5 Crazy Ways Social Media is Changing Your Brain Right Now
- 81.9% of Social Shares Happen on Facebook (Twitter: 8.6%, Pinterest: 3%) [STUDY]