Justin Bieber continues to reign supreme as the king of Twitter, with his now more than 45 million followers enough to edge out second-placed Katy Perry, although the gap is narrowing rapidly, and Perry is on track to catch and pass Bieber before the end of the year.
Indeed, over the past six weeks Perry has added more than 3 million extra fans to her Twitter profile, and her tally of 44 million and change is a little more than one million followers behind Bieber, who added just two million over the same period. Right now, Perry is adding twice as many followers per day as Bieber – if this continues, she could be Twitter’s numero uno by the time of our next update.
Former Twitter queen Lady Gaga remains in third place, ahead of President Barack Obama and Taylor Swift.
Here’s an updated look at Twitter’s 10 most-popular individuals.
1. Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 45,468,446 followers)
2. Katy Perry (@katyperry, 44,332,150)
3. Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 40,230,486)
4. Barack Obama (@barackobama, 37,659,998)
5. Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 35,053,065)
6. Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 32,683,188)
7. Rihanna (@rihanna, 32,043,664)
8. Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake, 26,765,183)
9. Jennifer Lopez (@JLo, 24,248,444)
10. Ellen Degeneres (@TheEllenShow, 22,612,125)
(Source: Twitter Counter.)
- Twitter Average Ad Rates Declined By 18% In Q4 2013, Down 81% Since Q1 2012 [STATS]
- Tweets About The Oscars Were Seen 3.3 Billion Times Worldwide [STATS]
- The 10 Most Popular People On Twitter [STATS]
- The Oscars Gobbles Up The Walking Dead In Top 10 Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings [CHART]