Lots of people get a real kick out of checking in at places and reporting their current location. I’m have to say that I’m not one of them. However, if this is your kind of thing, you’ll soon be able to do this easily on Twitter with a new featured called Twitter Places.
We’re excited to announce Twitter Places on twitter.com and mobile.twitter.com. Starting today, you can tag Tweets with specific places, including all World Cup stadiums in South Africa, and create new Twitter Places. You can also click a Twitter Place within a Tweet to see recent Tweets from a particular location. Try it out during the next match–you will be able to see Tweets coming from the stadium.
Other features include:
- Foursquare and Gowalla integration
- API functionality that lets developers integrate Twitter Places into their applications
- Support for more browsers (including IE)
You’ve been able to do something similar to this on various mobile apps for a while now, but Twitter has made it all official and built-in. Enjoy.
(Source: Twitter blog.)
- Keep Track Of Your Tweeting Stats With New Plugin From TwitterCounter
- Conversnitch: The Lamp That Live-Tweets Your Private Conversations
- Multilingual? Help Translate Twitter Into One Of 48 Languages
- Twitter Apps Are Now More Secure