Mediabistro Self-Paced Courses: Learning for the independent-minded. No teachers, no fellow students. Just a rich multimedia curriculum designed to teach you what you need to know.
No matter what your role, you need to be able to communicate effectively on camera. Learn how to prepare for live and taped media appearances, address interview questions clearly, and ensure that you look and sound your best onscreen.
Whether you’re promoting your personal brand, business, or client, we'll cover everything from dealing with difficult questions, to using a teleprompter, to what to wear. You'll work independently, at your own pace, with our video lessons, written assignments, and lists of other resources.
In this class, you will learn how to:
- Appear on live television with poise and confidence
- Think and speak in sound bites
- Understand what to expect when you arrive at a studio
- Prepare notes in advance
- Conceive of video promotion projects
The self-paced course includes:
- A video introduction with Mediabistro's Carmen Scheidel
- Six video lessons with expert advice from Mediabistro instructors who specialize in public speaking, on-camera reporting, and presentation skills
- Written lessons and crib sheets that will help you prepare for your on-camera appearance, whether you have days, weeks, months, or (gulp!) hours to prepare
- Lists of resources to guide your search for more information
By the end of class, you will have:
A thorough understanding of how to prepare for on-camera appearances and experience filming and self-assessing your performance.
How the self-paced classroom works:
- You have access to the course platform for three months. Please note, if you sign up after 6 pm ET Monday-Friday, your email invitation will be sent the following business day.
- Mediabistro's education team is available to answer your questions.
- There are no other students and no instructor. Students are invited to post comments on our community forum of media professionals to interact with others in the field.