Standup comic Will Durst is a five-time Emmy nominee, political satirist and cheeseburger enthusiast.
Durst is in town today and tomorrow performing at the Comedy Theater on E St. We caught up with him to pick his brain on the pressing issues of the day.
1. Has President Obama completed his evolution? Well, he’s evolved enough to grow some flippers to walk on dry land and crawl to Dick Cheney’s position on gay marriage. Perhaps he grew some other things as well.
2. Does Mitt Romney have any evolving to do? In what areas? Not sure Mr. Romney can evolve. They keep saying the long campaign made him a better candidate. But the only thing he’s done for five years is run for president. Pretty sure his learning curve has run out of bendy parts. He’s just electile dysfunctional. Finally figured out who Romney is: he’s Thurston P. Howell III before the island. And Ann is training to be Lovie.
3. Who’s your favorite journalist (print or TV)? Love a lot of gifted writers out there: but especially [NYT's] Gail Collins. She manages to merge punditry with humor. Doesn’t take herself or her opinions too seriously. It’s rare that this particular medium is so well done. And Carl Cameron on Fox News for the exceptional job he’s doing of passing.
4. What do you think of Sarah Palin co-hosting “Today”? Should she do it full time? Don’t care what the former Governor of Alaska does as long as she keeps doing it. The girl can’t help herself. Every two weeks with her there’s something. Every two weeks she erupts. She’s like Republican herpes. But I mean that in a good way. “Celebrity Apprentice” should be next on her list.
5. Michele Bachmann recently received dual-citizenship status with the U.S and Switzerland. What’s the significance of this? More yodeling from behind the closed door of Marcus‘s bedroom?
Note: Since this interview took place Michele Bachmann says she has renounced her dual-citizenship status with Switzerland.
- Jeff Flake and Donna Edwards to Host That Other Political Press Dinner
- Al-Monitor and Johns Hopkins Discuss Very Functional Working Relationship Between Russia, US
- The Atlantic, PEN Hosting Free Expression Forum at Newseum
- DC Journo-Land: It's Not All Meanness and Backbiting