It’s an award that might be best held at arms length, but Metro Weekly was named D.C.’s “best local gay news outlet” by the smartphone application Grindr yesterday.
Grindr is a type of GPS for gay and bisexual men, notoriously known as a tool for those who want sex at the drop of a leather hat.
“If Grindr members in the D.C. area think Metro Weekly is the best local source for gay news, I’m perfectly happy to say ‘Thanks!’ in return,” Metro Weekly publisher Sean Bugg told FishbowlDC. “Having my magazine read by sexually active gay men who look for boyfriends and hookups — and chats! sometimes we’re on just for chat! — is a plus, not a negative.”
Positive news to be proud of, for sure.
“I also enjoy being read by sexually active lesbians,” Bugg added. “Should they give us an award, too, I’d be happy to accept it.”
A few other notable awards from Grindr…
- Gay icon of the year: Anderson Cooper, who outed himself in 2012.
- Straight ally of the year: Barack Obama
- Best source for gossip: TMZ
- Magazine Cover of the Week: National Journal's 'Battle for Your Brain'
- Fortune Unveils its 50 Most Powerful Women in Business
- CNN's Jake Tapper Recipient of 'Tex' McCrary Award for Excellence in Journalism
- Magazine Cover of the Week: TIME Magazine Questions Apple's Watch