In the D.C. dining scene, Graffiato’s Mike Isabella‘s porcine cuisine reigns supreme. Sunday night, DC diners had the opportunity to stuff their faces with pork at Cochon 555. The competition-style event gives 5 chefs 5 different breeds of heritage pigs and let them create a pork-centric menu for diners willing to pay for the all-you-can-eat event. Diners grazed throughout the evening, which took place at the Newseum, and vote for their favorite chef at the end of the night.
Not only did diners get a chance to eat like maniacs, there were cocktails, wine and beer at every turn to make sure every attendee could wake up the next day with a nasty mix of hangover and meat sweats. The competing chefs, Mike Isabella, Jeff Buben, Kyle Bailey, Haidar Karoum, and Bryan Voltaggio each rolled out several dishes, including desserts that had people rolling out of the Newseum in a food coma. Some highlights included Voltaggio’s chocolate truffles with lard caramel and crushed pretzels, Buben’s Porky Sticky Buns, Bailey’s “Pigs in a Blanket,” Karoum’s “Thing-a-ma-Pig” candy bar, and Isabella’s “Fat Arancini,” a porky rice ball that was breaded and fried.
In the end, Isabella’s table, which had been transformed into “Isabella and Sons” meat shop, complete with little butcher hats, was crowned the winner. A picture of his entire menu is after the jump…
Food porn and party pics, anyone?
Some Sights and Sounds from the Party
- Isabella was roaming the party plastering “Isabella and Sons” stickers on unknowing partygoers. We snapped the pic (below) of Nycci Nellis, host of “Foodie and the Beast,” with a sticker on her ass.
- OVERHEARD: Restaurant publicist Amer Pfau lamenting to Nellis that she might be suffering from “socialness fatigue.”
Douchebag Celebrity Chef Spike Mendelsohn tripping over a clunky set of wires and almost hitting the deck.
- One of the judges was WaPo‘s Ezra Klein. (We’re guessing Klein, who is Jewish, doesn’t keep kosher.)
Bryan Voltaggio dishes up food to a diner.
Freshly butchered pig
Kyle Bailey’s “Pig in Blanket.”
Jeff Buben’s Sticky Bun
One attendee has been “Isabella’d”
Nycci Nellis with the winning chef. Notice the Isabella sticker on her left butt cheek.
Bryan Voltaggio’s chocolate truffle with lard caramel and crushed pretzel. (Not pictured, my cholesterol level.)
The winning menu from Isabella.
- WUSA9 Anchors Mike Hydeck, Andrea Roane Headline DC's Dancing Stars Gala
- Save the Date: Susan G. Komen’s Honoring the Promise Gala Next Thursday with Joan Lunden
- Capitol File Celebrates Summer Issue with Soiree at CityCenterDC
- Hanson on The Hill! Oh, and Also Reps. McCarthy and Pelosi...