A lawmaker uses the word “sux?”
“Member txts from inside mtg: ‘this sux’ I respond: ‘why?’ Member doesn’t respond.” — NationalReviewOnline‘s Robert Costa.
“Seriously – who are these people getting Capitol tour at 11pm??” — CNN’s Deirdre Walsh.
Journo encounters alcohol-scented pols
“About every other House lawmaker I just talked to smelled like booze. It’s only 9pm. Wheeee!” — HuffPost‘s Jennifer Bendery.
Reporter breaks the rules
“Almost got kicked out of speakers lobby for taking photo of a piece of paper #rookiemistake.” — HuffPost‘s Sam Stein.
Place to be during the shutdown: C-SPAN
“Exciting late night TV: House rules committee on @CSpan” — PBS’ Judy Woodruff.
Ezzy is old enough damn it!
Important information gathering
Politico‘s Donovan Slack: “Can anyone tell what Obama’s drinking tonight in this pic?”
BloombergBNA’s Cheryl Bolen: “It’s Honest Tea, can’t tell what flavor.
- “Chuck Todd is fucking tired, man.” – BuzzFeed‘s TV-obsessed Dorsey Shaw.
- “One day we’ll all tell our grandkids about the night the motion to go to conference on a short-term stopgap…nevermind.” — USA Today‘s Susan Davis.
- “Pete Sessions seems sooooo annoyed to be there right now – and tired – I sympathize” — CQ Roll Call‘s Emily Pierce.
- “On the upside, Clinton and Lewinsky got together during the last shutdown.” — National Journal‘s Matt Cooper.
- “House GOP looks just plain desperate. #pathetic #yourfault #GOPshutdown” — Brad Woodhouse, President of Americans United for Change and former Communications Director for the Democratic Party.
- “@louiseslaughter you just made the most idiotic point ever…” — Elizabeth Lauten, a.k.a. “DC GOP Girl.”
- “At midnight Speaker John Boehner becomes a pumpkin. An orange faced, drunken, failure of a pumpkin. #GOPShutdown” — Syndicated liberal columnist Karl Frisch.
- “All the gallows humor very much appreciated (and fun!) but Jesus Christ THIS IS FUCKED UP. Let’s just not forget that.” — The Guardian‘s Ana Marie Cox.
Important question to ponder: Which Washington journo pulled his back?
NPR reporter gets a sign from beyond?
“My TV just quit on me while watching CSPAN. Obviously a sign.” – NPR’s Arnie Seipel at 10:15 p.m.
Eatery to lawmakers: No free pulled pork for you!
@PBBBQDelRay: “Free pulled pork sandwich for any gov employee if there is a shutdown. EXCLUDES CONGRESSMEN.”
Pre-emptive media strike
“No doubt OBJECTIVE @ABurnsPolitico, @maggiepolitico are working on piece asking y Hillary hasn’t ‘Soulja’d’ Obama for refusal to negotiate.” — Breitbart.com editor John Nolte.
Words to live by…
“Know what keeps me sane living in the DC area? Boasting an outsider mindset in the Beltway. Resist urge for power and remember your roots.” — conservative blogger Gabriella Hoffman. Just moments before this whopper of wisdom, she wrote, “My page is 8 likes away from 1,100. Connect with me on FB if you haven’t already.”
Editor’s brain shuts down
“You know what else has shut down? My brain. Time for bed. Will be up bright and early to cover the ongoing CR voterama. Night all.”– Red Alert Politics Editor-in-Chief Francesca Chambers at 12:10 a.m.
“My Dad lost a whole college trimester when the Pennsylvania government shut down and didn’t make his financial aid payments to the school.” — HuffPost‘s Jeffrey Young.
Where are Julia’s feelings? “Am I supposed to feel something right now? #shutdown” — TNR‘s Julia Ioffe at 12:06 a.m.
Could Howard Mortman be President? Answer: Who knows? But C-SPAN’s Communications Director sure sounded presidential last night while conversing with Politico’s Ben White.
Howard Mortman: “Video from House Rules now up live on C-SPAN”
Ben White: “Also on the Web site?”
Howard Mortman: “Yes sir…. Live stream simulcast on website.”
Ben White: “God bless you young man!”
Howard Mortman: “And God bless the United States of America…. #SCMODS”
- FishbowlDC Has Nothing to Do With This Ridiculous New Show
- FBDC's Most Popular Stories of 2013
- This Day in FishbowlDC History
- Thanksgiving is Over -Thank God