Quotes of the Day — the Inauguration Edition
PRIORITIES: “Obsessed with Ashley Biden’s shoes.” — BrandlinkDC’s Barbara Martin, among the organizers at the “Artists and Athletes” soireé at DC Coast Monday night.
Young girl voices what she wants from POTUS in next four years
“Um, I want him to take away the guns from other people, because for a girl like me it kind of scares me if I got killed.” — 8-year-old girl at The Dubliner bar this morning on MSNCB’s “Morning Joe.”
Flack melts down about Capitol Hill gridlock
“I’m pretty sure every cross street in DC is blocked. It’s virtually impossible to get back to Capitol Hill. No rhyme or reason.” — NRSC Spokesman Brian Walsh just after midnight Tuesday morning. And three minutes later…“Someone explain to me the security decision behind devoting 6 cops to shutting down 7th & M. There is nothing around that area at all.” More: “Understand. I’m all for security. Just seems like complete overkill.” He concludes on a bipartisan note…“To be sure, also remember it taking 3 hrs to go 12 blocks in 2001 for first GWB inauguration wknd. Should leave DC ”
- “Pro Tip: no matter how bad you think the traffic is in DC..it is 100 times worse than that.” — The Cook Report‘s Amy Walter. A follower snapped at her, saying, “Amy Walter, quit whining; u don’t live in Los Angeles. Take public transporation! [sic]“
- “Another trip to DC where I only used Uber. Simply a brilliant service.” — RedState and CNN’s Erick Erickson.
- “I concur with what @EWErickson just said. I’ve discovered how great uber is in DC, especially considering how shitass the cabs can be here.” — BuzzFeed‘s Rosie Gray, who recently moved to Washington from Manhattan. Everyone can congratulate Rosie on finding her new apartment — it’s in the Bloomington neighborhood of D.C.
- “Dupont Circle on Inauguration Weekend=everything I hate. SO MANY BROS, GET ME OUTTA HERE.” — National Journal political reporter Elahe Izadi. Hmmm…so many bros?
- “Took nearly half an hour to hail a cab. Happy inauguration!” — Greenwire‘s Jessica Estepa.
- “Heading home. DC streets closed 5 hours earlier that supposed to. #gridlock #inaug2013 (@ In An Uber w/ 3 others)” — Poshbrood travel blogger Elizabeth Thorp.
- “You really, really want to avoid driving w/in several blocks of WH right now. Street closures taking place. 18th St near gridlock.” — Roll Call‘s Steven Dennis.
On Michelle Obama’s new bangs: “I think the bangs are fantastic.” — Vogue‘s Andre Leon Talley, on “Morning Joe” this morning in a flamboyant black fur coat.
Washington Watch and CNN’s Roland Martin on Inauguration morning.
Actress Ashley Judd strikes a pose last night in the kitchen of Atlantic Publisher David Bradley, where she hung out for a good while, chatting up HuffPost‘s Howard Fineman, Bloomberg‘s Margaret Carlson and a swell of fine, crusty Washington D.C. men with varying amounts of ear hair. (More on the swanky Downton Bradley party later…)
TV journo marvels over empty Metro car
“Its very quiet INSIDE Capitol & amazingly Metro train car I was in was empty, completely empty. 4 years ago it was packed.” — NBC’s Kelly O’Donnell at 6:08 a.m.
Journo hopes to survive inauguration sans illness
“Last week, I thought #inauguration would be a race between me and my iPhone battery. Instead, it’s a race against my own immune system.” — WaPo‘s Maura Judkis.
How to Make it All About Me?
“I’m at Capitol South Metro Station (Washington D.C., DC)” — Syndicated columnist and Bullfight Strategies’ Karl Frisch at 6:19 a.m.
Important Question to Ponder: “It’s okay to take DayQuil with a vodka martini right?” — WaPo‘s Dan Zak.
D.C. Celebrity Watching: “Been playing ‘I know that celebrity from that scene in that movie where he looks [adjective here] but what is his name?!’ all night. Tired.” — The Hill‘s Alexandra Jaffe.
“President was sworn in today. Mon is the ceremonial event and speech. I elected to skip the party & hoopla and not attend Mon’s event.” — Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah).
ABC “The View’s” Sherri Shepherd needs help
“Ashley pooped in Jeffrey’s bed, peed on Jeffrey’s carpet, chews his socks. If you come back & help me @cesarmillan, I’ll make you dinner :O)” — Sherri Shepherd, our new favorite Twitter obsession. Only Sherri can bring “poop” and “dinner” together into one sentence.
Party banter and — gasp — an insult for Kerry Washington.