The finalists, in alphabetical order:
1. Rukmini Maria Callimachi, The Associated Press, for post-Katrina coverage in New Orleans.
2. C. J. Chivers, Esquire, for a reconstruction of the Beslan school siege in Russia.
3. Charles Forelle, James Bandler, Mark Maremont & Steve Stecklow, The Wall Street Journal, for articles on stock-options abuses.
4. Jesse Hamilton, The Hartford Courant, for coverage of the Marines of Charlie Company.
5. William Langewiesche, Vanity Fair, for coverage of Iraq.
The awards ceremony is this Thursday.