From a source:
- Michael Steele was the MC.
- The public debut of new Times business-side leaders, Tom McDevitt and Preston Moon.
- Maggie Thatcher sent a video of support. Bush sent letter.
- Cool video of the history of The Times, with pictures from the newsroom and a clip from Reagan praising The Times from 15 years ago.
- A photo was taken of the crowd at the beginning of the dinner and it appeared on the cover of a special section that was handed out as people left.
- Pretty good food.
- Alcohol served at the pre-dinner reception. (Unlike 5 years ago.)
- Some attendees: George Allen, G. Gordon Liddy, Wayne LaPierre, Grover Norquist, Ed Feulner. Multiple ambassadors.
- A musical anthem unveiled as a tribute to TWT.
- No sign of Archibald.
Tom McDevitt announced after the fire alarm that it was set off by someone smoking in a hallway. Some observers, without proof or confirmation, speculated the culprit was TWT assistant National editor Stacy McCain, who is rarely seen without a cigarette.
No announcements last night concerning the future leadership of The Times.
The Times’ own write-up is here.
- WaPo Partnering With The Texas Tribune
- Boston Globe’s Stephen Heuser to Lead Politico’s New Policy Project
- Pulitzer Winner And WaPo Photojournalist, Michel du Cille, Dies At 58
- #FreeJason Update: Imprisonment Taking 'Fearsome Toll' On WaPo Reporter