Former Dodgers manager Joe Torre has left his MLB executive position to join a bid led by The Grove and Americana on Brand developer Rick Caruso, in what would be a tremendous bit of local-karma competition for Magic Johnson‘s planned bid. There’s also another key person involved. Per Bill Shaikin‘s LA Times blog item this morning:
Posts Tagged ‘Frank McCourt’
But this morning on the “Dan Patrick Show,” Cuban confirmed he’s still interested in buying the Dodgers and will approach the upcoming opening of the books like any other deal:
“My concern on the Dodgers is that someone is just going to come in and overpay. I’ve got a lot of money but I don’t have unlimited money, and to me, you’ve got to pay the right price because you don’t want all your money going to Frank McCourt.”
Johnson would be the face of a high-powered ownership group that would include Stan Kasten, the former president of the Atlanta Braves and Washington Nationals, and Mark Walter, chief executive of Guggenheim Partners, a financial services firm that controls over $125 billion in assets. The firm is headquartered in Chicago and New York, with an office in Los Angeles.
Los Angeles Dodgers owner (for now) Frank McCourt made his first public appearance Monday since agreeing to sell the team, just hours after the news broke that center fielder Matt Kemp was close to signing a $160 million contract extension.
McCourt was at Mona Park in Compton with Kemp for a dedication to a youth baseball field.
The Los Angeles Times has some highlights from McCourt’s comments to the media:
What he would like say to the fans: “I’m very grateful to the fans. They have been phenomenal to me and my family since the day we arrived in L.A. I know the last couple years were very, very difficult. I’m very, very sorry about that. We’re going to move forward and handle the situation now in as professional a way as possible and make sure the baton is passed here in a classy way.”
With Fox out of the picture, Dodger fans are one step closer to a dream scenario where Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban purchases the team.
“It all comes down to price,” Cuban told ESPNLosAngeles.com Wednesday morning via email. “It’s important to have more than enough money to pay players and invest in the organization.”
One can dream, right?
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle was elected vice president of the BBWAA, which puts her one step away from becoming the first woman to head the organization.
Traditionally, the vice president serves one year before becoming president.
Monday was a big day for Frank and Jamie McCourt, as the two confirmed their divorce settlement after months of public humiliation.
As part of the settlement, Jamie McCourt received $130 million and relinquished her share of the Los Angeles Dodgers, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“In a court filing this week on behalf of Major League Baseball, Los Angeles sports media consultant Ed Desser said the Dodgers would be unlikely to succeed in launching a cable channel of their own, in part because they would not have “any other significant sports team” to join them. He noted that the Lakers are launching two channels of their own, the Pac-12 Conference is launching another for UCLA and USC, and the Kings and Clippers are bound to Fox.
Fox Sports filed a lawsuit Tuesday evening against the Los Angeles Dodgers to prevent a proposed sale of the team’s television rights.
Owner Frank McCourt proposed a media rights auction earlier this month in an attempt to raise enough money to keep the franchise. Fox Sports holds the Dodgers’ broadcast rights through the 2013 season.
Above is the entire lawsuit filed by Fox Sports in Delaware bankruptcy court.
Currently, FOX has the team’s broadcast rights through the 2013 MLB season. Under the proposed plan, FOX would have a 45-day window to negotiate a new deal with the team. If the two sides are unable to reach a deal, the media rights would be auctioned off. Proposed bidders include DirecTV, Time Warner and Dish Network, according to the filing.