Stanley McChrystal, commander of the NATO and U.S. forces and Afghanistan, has probably been crossed off a number of Christmas-card lists following publication of this Rolling Stone profile. Some believe he may lose his job over some overly candid remarks he made about the Obama administration. Several pundits have pointed out that this is a big deal.
Although McChrystal’s in some hot water, we here at FishbowlNY choose to look at the bright side, and so we’ve compiled a list of figures in Rolling Stone‘s “The Runaway General” whose intelligence, courage or other virtues were not impugned in a direct quote from McChrystal:
• Col. Charlie Flynn, McChrystal’s chief of staff (this one’s dicey, though; McChrystal does give Flynn the middle finger shortly after the first paragraph)
• Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, co-stars of Talladega Nights, McChrystal’s favorite movie
• Rescue Dawn – era Christian Bale, who per the article looks like a younger version of McChrystal
• “A roomful of people” ready to kick McChrystal’s ass; he says he’d rather spend time with them than dinner guests at the Hotel Westminster in Paris
• McChrystal’s team of advisors, of whom McChrystal says “I’d die for them.”
Read more about the public-relations disaster the Rolling Stone profile has engendered at our sister site, PRNewser.