Columnist Joel Stein kindly answered our 20 questions. If you think he’s really funny, be prepared for a disappointment. Anyone can have an off day or two. We’d blame ourselves except everyone else we asked has been funny.
1. What newspapers do you read? I get the LAT and NYT at my house every morning.
2. Which ones do you move your lips to while reading?
Just the stuff I wrote.
3. Which Web sites are on your favorites bookmark? Goodsearch, Wikipedia,NY Times,
LAT, IMDB, Mirriam Webster, Pandora, CNN, Defamer, ESPN,Slate, Time, Arts and Letters Daily, LAist, Outside.in, Citibank, Vangard, WGA, City National, Food Netword,Epicurious, Eating LA, Citysearch, LA Weekly, FBLA
4. Where do you get your car washed?
Rarely do. Every four months I’ll stop by some place on Gower and Santa Monica. It’s like $6.
5. Do you know your dentist’s first name? Yes. But she’s been my dentist since 1993 and lives in NY.
6. Do you believe newspapers are going to die? If so, when? No. I don’t. You mean the actual paper part or the institutions? I mean the institutions.
7. What was the last book you read?
Jason Tanz’ Other People’s Property: A Shadow History of Hip-Hop in White America
8. What’s the last book you say you read? You’re the first one to have asked. That’s the beauty of living in L.A.
9. If you got a unicorn what would you name it? Moneymaker.
10. What does you TiVo think about you? I wrote a whole column about this. When I first got it, it thought I was a pedophile (lots of Boy Meets World). Now it thinks I’m much smarter than I am (Who knew Fareed Zakaria had a show?)
11. character of fiction you most resemble? Jack Bauer. A very lazy Jack Bauer who has trouble memorizing numbers and doesn’t really care who you’re working for.
12. Who plays you in your bio-pic? Jon Cryer or Colin Hanks.
13. Do you floss? Every night. If there’s one thing I hope people get out of this, it’s to floss like me. But I don’t think there’s anything people will get from this.
14. Did you ever believe your toys come alive when you leave the room? Do you still? No and no.
15. How many old cell phones do you own? One.
16. Best show legendary biz/movie star encounter. Best? As in, I wasn’t yelled at or hung up on? I guess that would be any dinner involving Robert Goulet.
17. Do you get satellite radio? Yes. Though I think the subscription ran out.
18. And as a follow do you “get” satellite radio? Seriously, the subscription ran out.
19. Do you read the Enquirer/InTouch/US/people? If someone else is, I’ll grab it from them.
20. Do you lie about it? Sometimes I lie that I read them when I really don’t.
- Kim's Video Owner: 'Netflix is the Winner'
- Newspaper Reporter Explains the Reasons for His Departure
- Weird Al's Early Jobs Included 'Accordion Repo Man'
- Paul McKenna on What Makes a Great Interviewer