Freelancer and Irishman Peter McQuaid joined us just in time for St. Pat’s.
1. What newspapers do you read? The L.A. Times, The NY Times, WWD, The Guardian and if I’m feeling really masochistic, The Washington Post.
2. Which ones do you move your lips to while reading? I don’t move my lips while reading the paper, I’m too busy gnashing my teeth and screeching out loud about either: the news itself, the lameness of the reporting, or my annoyance that someone besides me got the assignment.
3. Which Web sites are on your favorites bookmark? FBLA, because if there’s anything LA needs, it’s some non-Hollywood gossip, and I’m not being facetious. Rawstory.com, Fleshbot, Radar, Al Jazeera, and dudesnude.com because I’m single.
4. Where do you get your car washed? This place on Vermont–It’s really cool, they have a car stereo place in back and I always go in there and fantasize that someday, I will get my Pathfinder painted Emergency Red and outfit it with a really phat sound system. It is my dream to be a playa…
5. Do you know your dentist’s first name? I have rotten Irish teeth so I have a dentist named Bob here and a dentist named Terry in New York, but if they don’t stop raising their rates, the next dentist’s name will be Jose or Carmen and he or she will be in Tijuana.
6. Do you believe newspapers are going to die? If so, when? Yes, unfortunately, newspapers are dying next Wednesday at 3:15. Hopefully, most newspaper executives and owners will follow shortly after.
7. What was the last book you read? The Invention of Pornography; Obscenity and the Origins of Modernity, it’s not very dirty, it’s a collection of academic essays and dissertations. Did you know that the very first example of mass market pornography was a saucy little pamphlet called “Les Ecole des Filles,” published in 1655? I bet you didn’t.
8. What’s the last book you say you read? A Beautiful Fall, which is about Yves St. Laurent and Karl Lagerfed, but is really about the Seventies and how rich, and fun and decadent it was and about the Eighties and how corporate, dreary, horrific and sad they were.
9. If you got a unicorn what would you name it? I think I would name it Aiden Shaw, but not after the character on Sex in the City; but after the British\ gay porn star Aiden Shaw, which is probably where the character on SIT got his name, too.
10. What does you TiVo think about you? I don’t have a Tivo, I thought about it, but I couldn’t bear the thought of having yet another data stream spewing in and out of my home, so I got an
all-regions DVD recorder/player from E-bay.
11. Character of fiction you most resemble? I’d like to think I resemble one of James Ellroy’s detective heroes, but I suspect I more resemble Edith Wharton’s Lilly Bart.
12. Who plays you in your bio-pic? Colin Farrell, though Julianne Moore would be really cool.
13. Do you floss? Yes, when I can’t stand all the gunk between my teeth for another second. Fortunately this is almost every night.
14. Did you ever believe your toys come alive when you leave the room? No, because the under-the-bed monster would have taken
them all off to Hell.
Do you still? No, because I know now that the under-the-bed monster is using them.
15. How many old cell phones do you own? I used to have two, but I sent them to some charity that reconditions them and gives them to teenage girls in developing countries, or something like that.
16. Best show legendary biz/movie star encounter. Tony Curtis! I thought he was going to be such a pill, but he turned out to be the greatest guy, and his wife Lilly was also incredibly sweet. You would totally want to be friends with them.
17. Do you get satellite radio? I don’t see a need when I live in the city with the best radio in the country.
18. And as a follow do you “get” satellite radio? I suspect if I lived anywhere else, I’d be all over it.
19. Do you read the Enquirer/InTouch/US/people? My shameful secret: I don’t unless I have to to do research for an assignment. I’m far too self-absorbed to care about people I don’t know.
20. Do you lie about it? What I really meant to say in the last answer was, unless you have slept with me, are sleeping with me or might sleep with me, I don’t care who you’re sleeping with unless there’s money in it.
FBLA 20 QUestions
- Good News-Bad News for Salt Lake City
- Tom Hanks is King of the Typewriter Apps
- Vanity Fair Scouting for New Oscar Party Location
- Kirk Douglas on the Kindness of Lauren Bacall