It seems entirely appropriate to try and summarize the news cycle that gobbled up Ina Garten, a.k.a. TV chef and author “The Barefoot Contessa,” in the form of a recipe. The cooking time in this case was three days and involved some incendiary claims that she had deliberately crushed the Make-a-Wish dreams of a six-year-old cancer sufferer named Enzo. Here goes:
Upside-Down Coverage Cake
- TMZ.com March 25th “exclusive”
- Several hundred follow-on news items
- Many thousands of angry reader comments
- A large dollop of speculation
- One official spokesperson explanation, purchased fresh at market March 28th
This is not a dish meant to be savored or even properly digested. Rather, the idea is to enthusiastically chew on a slice – at home or for workplace diversion – and then promptly spit out. No nutritional value.