The LA Times numbers continue to be flat, according to an inside report for August. Online is improving, though. Classifieds continue to droop. Some selected stats:
Traffic (Latimes.com only)
Year-over-year traffic was up considerably.
Page views to prior year were up by 19%, 32% for unique
visitors, and 32% for local unique visitors.
Of the Top Ten Videos, a few were home-grown:
1. “The Proof” (“flying saucer”–YouTube/UFO story)–LAT
2. Homegrown terrorism– AP
3. LA Times live video from KTLA
4. 4.5 earthquake in Peru–AP
5. Glamping: Roughin’ it the easy way–LAT (Myung Chun)
6. Hundreds dead after earthquake in Peru–CNN
7. Mattel sues over XXX Barbie website–AP
8. Minneapolis bridge collapses into Miss. River–AP
9. Dr. Lucy Jones, chief scientist, preparing for the Big One–KTLA
10. Steve McQueen’s Ferrari Lusso for sale–LAT
But someone needs to crack the whip:
Sunday Reliability missed 90% on-time goal by 5.4 percentage points primarily due to late editorial copy.
Property tax refund, compensation, newsprint & volume savings, drove the favorable variance to Plan. Department compensation was below Plan.
Circulation is still dropping, but not plummeting.
Daily Individually Paid circulation for September is projected to be flat with last year.
Sunday Individually Paid Circulation for September is projected to be down versus last year due to weaker demand, some modest subscriber loss from product changes, and discontinuation of Sunday bonus days.
Retail was off by 7.7%, stopping a double-digit decline since Period 4.
National remained favorable to Plan, driven up by strong Movies & Financials, partially offset by weak Auto. Classified missed Plan by 14.8%, primarily due to
plummeting Real Estate & Recruitment, slightly offset by favorable Auto
- Jane Fonda Doesn't Want Murdoch to Buy Time Warner
- In Face of 'Capitalist' Criticism, Michael Moore Remains Silent for Now
- Newspaper Reporter Explains the Reasons for His Departure
- Weird Al's Early Jobs Included 'Accordion Repo Man'