TVNewser FishbowlDC AgencySpy TVSpy LostRemote PRNewser SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Retired Manhattan Lawyer Gets His Jaguar Back

The media is having a lot of fun with this story and who can blame them? It’s not every week that a car stolen when a gallon of gas cost a quarter is returned to its rightful owner.

Per an item by Los Angeles AP writer Justin Pritchard, Miami Beach retiree Ivan Schneider thought at first that he was being pranked when west coast law enforcement officials contacted him to say they’d tracked down his beloved 1967 XK-E white convertible Jaguar, stolen from the Upper East Side in the spring of 1968:

“After we convinced him, he was excited,” said California Highway Patrol investigator Michael Maleta.

After all, Schneider told The Associated Press, he would think of the 1967 car every time he bought a new one. And, he said, he is a car guy who has owned quite a few exotics.

Read more

Marie Claire and Bonnier Corp. Add to Teams

A couple Revolving Door items for you this early afternoon, involving Marie Claire and Bonnier. Details are below.

  • Marie Claire has named Nikki Glazer northwest account director. Glazer most recently served as account manager for C&G Publications. Previously she served as a operations specialist at Google. Glazer starts September 24 and will report to Nancy Berger Cardone, Marie Claire’s VP, publisher and chief revenue officer.
  • Stefanie McNamara joins Bonnier Corporation as associate director, public relations, for Saveur and Weldon Owen/Bonnier Books. She comes to the company from Time Inc., where she served handled public relations for All You and Departures. Her appointment is effective immediately.

Time Inc. Labor Negotiations Break Down [Updated]

time-inc-logo1The Newspaper Guild of New York, which represents about 600 200 Time Inc. staffers, has announced that labor negotiations with the publishing giant have broken down.

The main sticking point? Time Inc. wants to outsource more than 100 jobs. Bill O’Meara, the Guild’s president, issued a strong statement attacking Time Inc.’s plans.

“Time Inc.’s proposal to hollow out its own company is simply not acceptable,” said O’Meara. “Management wants the ability to send 160 editorial jobs overseas, which would be a massive blow to some of the nation’s most important and respected magazines. Many of Time Inc.’s proposals are not only outrageous, we believe they’re illegal. We are filing charges over these labor law violations to force management to return to the bargaining table and negotiate in good faith.”

According to the Guild, Time Inc. is claiming that negotiations have now reached a legal impasse, which the Guild disputes.

Update (6:30 pm):
Time Inc. has issued the following statement:

Read more

A Condé Nast Widget Funded by Mark Cuban

From a New York media perspective, one of the most salient portions of Indianapolis Star business reporter Jeff Swiatek‘s excellent chronicle of the rise of 2011 startup ZergNet reads as follows:

Condé Nast began using ZergNet about a year ago and credits it for increasing monthly traffic on its websites by the hundreds of thousands of new visitors, said Peter Cheng, director of business development and innovation.

Cheng said ZergNet offers publishers “traditional traffic-trading made easy… Plus the content recommendation algorithm of an OutBrain, and the human curation and headline writing of a BuzzFeed. Their secret sauce is combining all of the above into one.”

ZergNetPromo

How did content curator ZergNet makes its way from humble beginnings to a Quantcast #48 ranking among U.S. websites and hundreds of top-flight media clients? It’s a rich, long story that principally involves Mark Cuban, a fellow alum of Indiana University. Cuban provided $30,000 in seed funding to founder Reggie Renner in 2012 and has since ponied up much more.

Read more

Reader’s Digest to Cut Publishing Frequency

The head honchos at Reader’s Digest have changed their minds. After two years of publishing 12 issues, the New York Post reports that the magazine will cut back to 10 issues per year.

The decision comes almost exactly two years after RD announced it was increasing its frequency to 12 a year. So what changed? RD was a little disappointed with digital subscriptions. ”We were one of the first publishers to go after digital subscriptions with the iPad and the Kindle, but they plateaued,” Liz Vaccariello, RD’s editor-in-chief, told the Post.

The change will begin with the December/January 2015 issue.

Amy Keller Laird Named Editor-in-Chief of Women’s Health

unnamedAmy Keller Laird won the Rodale execs over. She was named interim editor-in-chief when Michele Promaulayko left for Yahoo — and there were rumors that Keller Laird wouldn’t be taking over the glossy — but that’s all over with. Rodale has tapped her as the new editor-in-chief of Women’s Health.

Rodale’s president, Scott Schulman, seemed to think Keller Laird was the perfect choice all along. ”Amy’s editorial expertise, passion for our mission, and proven ability to connect with a growing audience of readers across all channels make her the ideal candidate to continue Women’s Health’s incredible global growth trajectory,” he said in a statement.

Keller Laird joined Women’s Health in 2011 as executive editor. She previously served as Allure’s beauty director.

Joan Hamburg Returns to New York Radio Airwaves

Fans of Joan Hamburg were very unhappy with WOR 710 AM when the station unceremoniously dumped her earlier this year, without the chance to do a farewell show. But after a summer recharging, the veteran radio personality has returned.

JoanHamburgPic

Starting this Saturday at 1 p.m., the 79-year-old “First Lady of New York Radio” will host a two-hour weekly show on WABC 770 AM. From this week’s glorious announcement:

Hamburg will continue discussing the most important social, economic and political issues that impact listeners’ lives each week. Hamburg will also interview major celebrities and powerful political figures on the program.

Hamburg will also produce weekly features and exclusive programs available in digital formats. In addition, The Joan Hamburg Show programs pre-empted by sports play-by-play will be presented on the 77 WABC stream and within other 77 WABC digital products.

Read more

Naomi Zeichner Named Editor-in-Chief of The Fader

Six months after losing Matthew Schnipper to The Verge, The Fader has its new editor-in-chief. Naomi Zeichner, who previously worked with The Fader as an associate editor and senior editor, is coming back to take the lead. Zeichner most recently served as BuzzFeed’s music editor.

“Naomi is an incredible talent. Her creativity, taste and insider knowledge of the industry defines what The Fader stands for,” said Andy Cohn, The Fader’s president and publisher, said in a statement. “She’s re-joining an immensely talented group of editors, writers, designers and photographers, and we couldn’t be happier to have her back as we head into an exciting time for The Fader, with some major announcements to come.”

“I enjoyed and learned a lot from my time at BuzzFeed, but I’m returning to The Fader because I’m as passionate about being a part of music culture as I am about being a part of media,” added Zeichner.

FishbowlNY Newsstand: Your Morning at a Glance

Morning Media Newsfeed: ISIS Holds Another Journalist | Glasser Named Politico Editor

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

ISIS Reportedly Holding Another Journalist Captive (TVNewser)
ISIS released a new video Thursday showing a British journalist as its prisoner. The video, since deleted by YouTube, shows British journalist John Cantlie. HuffPost Cantlie, a former reporter for the Sunday Times, the Sun and the Sunday Telegraph, went missing in Syria in 2012, but was later freed by the Free Syrian Army. Cantlie reportedly then returned to Syria in 2012, along with U.S. journalist James Foley. Foley was beheaded by ISIS in August, a horrific killing that was also recorded and released on video. Reuters In the new roughly three-minute video posted on social media sites, the man identified as Cantlie appears in good health and promises to “convey some facts” in a series of “programs,” suggesting there would be further installments. “Now, I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, ‘He’s only doing this because he’s a prisoner. He’s got a gun at his head and he’s being forced to do this.’ Right?” the man in the video, wearing an orange shirt and closely-cropped hair, says. “Well, it’s true. I am a prisoner. That I cannot deny. But seeing as I’ve been abandoned by my government and my fate now lies in the hands of the Islamic State, I have nothing to lose.” Mashable He delivers a propaganda message to the West, promising to show “the truth” about the jihadists and stop what he calls the “seemingly inevitable sequence of events” that’s taking Western countries to another war in the Middle East. He promises that he will appear in more videos to come. NYT Analysts said that the shift in tone from the previous videos sought to gain maximum exposure and showed how attuned the group is to Western sensibilities in crafting its message. The video, like those before it, seems designed to forestall international military action against the Islamic State. But while the previous videos threatened revenge for attacks, Cantlie’s message seemed crafted to capitalize on reluctance in the West to get involved in a new war. “After two disastrous and hugely unpopular wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, why is it that our governments appear so keen to get involved in yet another unwinnable conflict?” he says.

Read more

<< PREVIOUS PAGENEXT PAGE >>