PR Week’s Los Angeles bureau chief, Randi Schmelzer, somehow managed to find the time to answer our notorious questions. When not keeping her finger on the pulse of the world of public relations, Randi enjoys long walks on the beach, trying out new restaurants, and puppy wrestling. Turn-offs: mean people.
1. What newspapers do you read?
Los Angeles Times, LA Business Journal, New York Times, and parts of the Wall Street Journal, L.A. Daily News and NY Post. And the Cleveland Jewish News, so I know exactly whose bris, shower, wedding or funeral my parents have recently attended and feel the need to discuss at length.
2. Which ones do you move your lips to while reading? The Cleveland Jewish News, always. Passages like, “How else to celebrate the milestone 70th birthday of Mort Weisberg, well-known nursing-home mogul, than with a festive party?” were positively written for reading aloud.
3. Which Web sites are on your favorites bookmark?
PRWeek.com aside, way too many: MB’s FishBowlLA and AgencySpy, LA Observed, Gridskipper, Ray Richmond’s Past Deadline and Virginia Heffernan’s Screens blogs, Radar Online, Failure mag, BlatherWatch, Egotastic, RoadFood.com … and my very favorite, Snopes.
4. Where do you get your car washed?
I try to mix it up as much as possible, because I like to see what sorts of one-of-kind treasures are available in each facility’s attached gift shop. (Any suggestions?)
5. Do you know your dentist’s first name? I do know his first name, but how could I not? Aren’t all dentists supposed to have a wall in the waiting room labeled with huge, cardboard cut-out letters reading, “Dr. Dan’s Zero-Cavity Club”? Or whatever his/her first name is. Underneath, there are those Polaroid snapshots of grinning patients cuddling an oversized stuffed tooth. Maybe it’s just my dentists.