TVNewser FishbowlDC AgencySpy TVSpy LostRemote PRNewser SocialTimes AllFacebook 10,000 Words GalleyCat UnBeige MediaJobsDaily

Posts Tagged ‘20th Century Fox TV’

Morning Media Newsfeed: Ravens Cut Rice Following TMZ Video | Todd Wins on MTP

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

Ray Rice Cut by Ravens Following TMZ Video Release (TVNewser)
At 4 a.m. ET Monday morning, TMZ posted a video showing Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice knocking out his fiancée Janay Palmer — now his wife — in an Atlantic City elevator last February. By 2:30 p.m., Rice had been suspended indefinitely by the NFL and cut by the Ravens. PRNewser The NFL’s SVP of communications Greg Aiello explained things to CNN: “We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator. That video was not made available to us and no one in our office has seen it until today.” Mashable The video shows a man believed to be Rice and a woman in a lobby at the Revel Casino Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on Feb. 15, 2014. The woman is believed to be Palmer, now Janay Rice, whom Rice married in March. After entering an elevator, the two briefly scuffle. The man then hits the woman with his left hand, causing her head to appear to hit the handrail in the elevator. The woman then slumps to the ground and does not move. The man then proceeds to drag her out of the elevator while she still appears to be unconscious. Security arrives after that. Variety ESPN host Keith Olbermann has accused the NFL and commissioner Roger Gooddell, among others, of covering up the Rice domestic violence situation. Rice was given a two-game suspension by the NFL last month over the incident, but on Monday, the league suspended the football player indefinitely as a result of the graphic video. Mediaite TMZ founder Harvey Levin said Monday that none of this would have happened, and Rice would have gotten away with it scot-free, had TMZ not put the video online.

Read more

Mediabistro Course

Personal Essay Writing: Master Class

Personal Essay Writing: Master ClassStarting October 21, work with the senior editor at Marie Claire magazine to polish and publish your essay! Whitney Joiner will help you to develop your voice, narrative, and identity, draft your pitch, and decide where to market your essay. Register now!

Morning Media Newsfeed: Dean Baquet Treated for Cancer | Julianna Goldman to CBS

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

New York Times Editor Treated for Cancer (NYT)
Dean Baquet, the executive editor of The New York Times, had a malignant tumor removed from his kidney on Saturday and will spend about a week away from the office while recovering, he said in an email to the newspaper’s staff on Monday morning. FishbowlNY In the memo to Times staffers, Baquet sounded upbeat about the situation. He described the surgery as “minimally invasive” and “completely successful.” “My doctors have given me an excellent prognosis,” added Baquet. New York Post The tumor was discovered by doctors on June 12, Baquet said in the email — and the decision was made that the situation needed “immediate attention.” HuffPost Baquet assured his newsroom that he would be back “as soon as possible.” “I know this comes as we are all trying to move forward in the newsroom,” he wrote. He told the newsroom in his email that he would be keeping “in touch”with the paper’s leaders while he stayed at home to recover. Capital New York The news of Baquet’s illness comes promptly after a period of upheaval at the paper. Baquet, 57, took the top editorial position on the Times masthead only last month, after the surprise dismissal of Jill Abramson. As managing editor, Baquet had been Abramson’s second in command. He has yet to appoint his own.

Read more

Morning Media Newsfeed: Newsweek Controversy | Mexico Moves on Telco | NJ President Out

Click here to receive Mediabistro’s Morning Media Newsfeed via email.

newsweek bitcoin

Controversy Marks Newsweek’s Comeback (The Associated Press)
A mystery man. A splashy reveal. A media frenzy. Newsweek staked its return from the dead Friday on a story it knew would get attention. A cover story claiming it had uncovered “the face behind Bitcoin,” the world’s most popular digital currency. Twenty-four hours after identifying Bitcoin’s creator as a 64-year-old former defense contractor employee living in Los Angeles, the controversy over whether or not Newsweek had outed the right man was so furious that Newsweek reporter Leah McGrath Goodman made the rounds on Bloomberg TV and CBS Morning News to defend her reporting against Dorian Nakamoto’s denials that he is the father of Bitcoin. Mashable For the first few hours after the article was published online Thursday, Newsweek enjoyed the kind of attention that most publications would kill for. The Bitcoin story dominated the conversation on social media; 700,000 readers had viewed it as of 5 p.m. ET on Thursday. It went on to top 1 million views. FishbowlNY Within the first few hours of the story’s release, however, Nakamoto emerged to deny any involvement with the digital currency, prompting a media frenzy. In a two-hour interview with the AP Thursday, Nakamoto denied having any involvement in Bitcoin, and the only reason he had ever heard of it was because a Newsweek reporter contacted his son three weeks ago. Nakamoto also said that during a brief interview at his home, McGrath Goodman misunderstood him (English isn’t Nakamoto’s first language). Politico / Dylan Byers on Media The account that created Bitcoin in 2009 has also suggested that the Newsweek story is inaccurate: “I’m not Dorian Nakamoto,” said the account holder, whose online name is Satoshi Nakamoto, according to USA Today. Newsweek In a statement released Friday, Newsweek defended the story: “Goodman’s research was conducted under the same high editorial and ethical standards that have guided Newsweek for more than 80 years. Newsweek stands strongly behind Goodman and her article”

Read more

The Simpsons Renewed for Two More Seasons

After a week of speculation on the future of The Simpsons thanks to a nasty contract dispute, 20th Century Fox TV announced late Friday they were renewing the prime time cartoon through seasons 24 and 25.

Terms of the new contract were not released, but Fox reportedly wanted to slash the salaries of the actors by 45 percent.

No word on whether the show will call it quits when this deal expires in 2014.

Harry Shearer Speaks Out on Simpsons Negotiations

Actor Harry Shearer is the first co-star from The Simpsons to speak publicly about the ongoing contract negotiations with 20th Century Fox TV.

The nationally syndicated radio show host, best known for voicing the likes of Ned Flanders, Waylon Smithers and Montgomery Burns, released a statement Friday that has me leaning more towards the support of the actors:

“For many years now, the cast of “The Simpsons” has been trying to get Fox to agree that, like so many other people who’ve contributed significantly to the show’s success, we be allowed a tiny share of the billions of dollars in profits the show has earned. Fox has consistently refused to even consider the matter. Instead, it’s paid us salaries that, while ridiculous by any normal standard, pale in comparison to what the show’s profit participants have been taking home.

Now, as the show enters its twenty-third season, we are engaged in what will probably be our last contract negotiation with Fox. As you may have heard, the network has taken the position that “The Simpsons” no longer makes enough money and that unless we in the cast accept a 45% pay cut, they are not going to bring the show back for a twenty-fourth season.

Read more

WGA 08 Strike: Gale Force Majeure

2190105807_1a4938ebce.jpg

ABC went all force majeure on Joshua Sternin and Jeffrey Ventimilia, Gabe Sachs and Jeff Judah, director Larry Charles, exec producer Jon Robin Baitz, writer Bill Callahan and actor/producer Taye Diggs, as well as others.

Warner Bros. Television cut loose less than six deals; CBS Paramount Network TV ditched around ten, including Hugh Jackman (after Viva Laughlin, where’s the surprise?), The Chronicles of Narnia producer Mark Johnson, the Emmy-winning Sopranos writing duo of Mitchell Burgess and Robin Green, Barry Schindel, John McNamara , Jennifer Levin, Liz Astrof, and the team of Aron Abrams and Greg Thompson. 20th Century Fox TV ended 15 agreements. Universal Media Studios also ended a handful of deals, including Alex Herschlag and Cheryl Holliday.

If the strike continues, producers may not have to hire these writers and producers back. On the other hand, talent can seek out richer deals, if the strike drags on and on.

The WGA made deals with Spyglass and Media Rights Capital similar to the Worldwide Pants and United Artists agreements.

(photo by PhotoJournal2008)